14/0 Beat Up N Broken Down....But Not Out Of It Yet

Started by Tightlines667, February 01, 2015, 06:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerman

Yeah, finding those is like finding "affordable" 16/0s though. I tried to buy a 12/0 for parts hoping it had a steel gear buy got outbid. That gets expensive though.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Those are nice, but I have never seen  the brass 10/0 or 16/0 fail :-\. I've seen the smaller ones, but never those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 06, 2015, 08:03:45 PM
Those are nice, but I have never seen  the brass 10/0 or 16/0 fail :-\. I've seen the smaller ones, but never those.

Good point Sal.  Also Stainless on Stainless will likely feel just a bit rougher, when crsnking under load.  I have seen alot of the brass gears show heavy wear, and some damage (marring, gouging, etc.).  These stainless gears will likely be stronger and less prone to damage and wear. 

Probably the most common issue I see with the main gears on 12 and 14/0s is the center bushing getting pushed up into the gear.  It can then impeed the smooth operation of the lowest 2 washers.  I expect that issue will still persist with these gears.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I totally agree with you Sal. The Bronze ones are mighty tough too. Its just a mental block I have. Stainless and Steel ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

A while back, I was supposed to get a couple 5-117 stainless steel gears with the versa drag system, only a couple to be made as a thank you from Alan Chui for helping him put with some stuff we've being doing here, but never got them. He claims that I'm still getting them,  I'm not so sure :-\. Not that I don't trust him, he's a great person, I just don't think he has the time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

crackerman

Well Daron, i took advantage of that one and bought it. As soon as i get me hands on a metal lathe, some magic may happen.

Shark Hunter

I received the set of gears yesterday from scott's. A magnet sticks to the main, but not the pinion.
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Doesn't necessarily mean the main isn't stainless just because the magnet sticks to it.
Stainless steels have a few different factors which determine their magnetic permeability.
SS's that get cold formed can exhibit magnetic properties, while certain grades of SS are magnetic due to the alloys and the crystalline structure that results from the alloys.
It's a very complex topic, magnetism and Stainless steels.

Edit- doesn't mean it is a "stainless" (read corrosion resistant) steel either. Still give them plenty of grease anyway.

Tightlines667

Parts costs escallated on this build, not real surprising.  Total cost to customer (fully spooled with new line), is gonna be $434.35...ouch.  I offered to psy him to keep the rerl and take a small loss or use the parts on other builds, but he decided to keep it.  I guess when you combine this with his other 3 reels I serviced (1-14/0, 2-80SWs), he figures it all works out.

This reel ended up with a new tail plate cracked & a broken clicker, new bridge, sleeve, main, pinion, jack, yoke, bearings, drag stack, handle, rod brace, and clamp.  Gonna have to go out fishing with him just to mske sure it can handle 'the big one'.  I always encourage through field testing, following a service of this nature.

Daron,
You are right about the magnetic properties of the pinion vs  the main.  I still think it is likely stainless, but I admit I am not 100% sure.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

$434! :o
I would have sold him one of mine for $350. Just kidding. I got in a pinch a while back and tried to sell one of mine. I'm glad I didn't.
I'm sure this gear will be fine. I just know if you see something you want, you better jump on it.
I bought this set for my 16/0. If all goes well this year, I plan on spooling and fishing this Monster!
Life is Good!