Reverse Finishing Steaks

Started by ChileRelleno, February 01, 2015, 04:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Had to try it for myself, and for the family too...  Awesome  8)

I baked at 450' to an internal temp of 160'.
Then into a smoking cast iron with olive oil.
The perfect charred crusty goodness forms within a minute or two.

2" thick Ribeyes
Caramelized Onions
Mashed Taters
Aspargus
Grilled Jalepenos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08&x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

AW MAN! That looks tasty! :P
I thought you were on a Diet. :D
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Aw c'mon now, look at all the green surrounding that massive hunk of delicious beef.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

John, that looks good, I will give it a shot. You're allowed to have it, but not too often ;).
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

I've been eating a lot of nice lean venison. ;)
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

John,
I have never been on a Diet a Day in my life!
You enjoy that Ribeye Brother! ;) I am Jealous. ;D
I did take the Wife to Red Lobster tonight. It was a celebration of our Union accepting the next 3 year Contract. I was worried about it.
Shrimp, Scallops, Lobster tails, Clams, and Fresh Flounder instead of Steak.
I will make up for it. ;)
My Boy Dustin got the Bay Harbor Bake and devoured the entire dish!
Life is Good!

erikpowell

I recently discovered the same method from that exact video!
The steaks weren't around long enough to take pics  :P

I'm a believer.
Now if I could only find a lobster or two...

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 01, 2015, 05:07:23 AM
John,
We can tell by your avatar.   ;D ;D ;D You left yourself open for that one Daron.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on February 01, 2015, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 01, 2015, 05:07:23 AM
John,
We can tell by your avatar.   ;D ;D ;D You left yourself open for that one Daron.  Dominick
If you say so Dominick! I'm going to be 50 this year. I am ready for it! Bring it on!
When I get to be 3/4 of a century like you. I hope to be the same! ;)
Life is Good!

jigmaster501

That looks real good..... You have a fatty cut of meat so that works really well with such high temps. I bet you didn't waste the juices either....

I see that some need to eat leaner cuts like venison for health reasons ( I assume) so I want you guys to try this.

Take your red meat steak and let it sit out on the counter for 2 hours. (Don't worry, the inside is predominantly sterile and you will only have to kill off surface pathogens)
Heat your oven to 200F and place your steak on a cookie sheet with a baking rack (cookie cooling rack) inside.

Cook your steak until it hits 110F and take out.

Put the oven on broil and get the broiler pan hot or even have your BBQ ready to go if you have one.

Pat dry both sides and season with what you like.

Sear both sides and if you want a rare/medium steak cook to 130F- Medium 145F - Well 158-160F.

Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.

The leaner cuts have less fat and can't handle higher internal temps. Red meat goes through enzymatic breakdown most rapidly from 70F to 110F. Slowly heating the meat through that zone with sitting out and then low temp heating will maximize the time through the zone. Once you hit 110F, it stops so you want to get the temp up fast so you don't dry it out.

This works best with a London Broil or a top round steak cut thicker. Fattier meats can be use too.

Searing first is something best done in ovens that are super hot which we can't achieve at home. It looks like we are going to have more meal pics instead of reel pics but that is ok too...