Taupo Bay Camp run down

Started by jonnou, January 27, 2015, 11:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

We are quieting down now as most people have gone back to work and school starts next week. I have had little time to log in and when I did I was greeted by 16 pages of unread posts!! I have been working 15 hr days since 26th of december and getting a little punchy but still In good spirits. soon will be the time to enjoy the bit of ocean I now have for a door step. The water is warm with tropical water being pushed  down and in by a steady north east flow so I am Chaffing at the bit to get out and drag some lures and skipbaits around. There has been some very notable catches of game fish already this season.some large blacks of the west coast and Yellowfin tuna of the east which is great as these have been absent for many years now. there has also been catches of Mahimahi (dorado) which we see as a sign of extra warm currents.
I met a friendly camper who was kind enough to insist on taking me on a fishing trip so after my morning jobs we headed out to the beautiful Cavalli Islands. The current was not running and this made the snapper fishing slow and hard. We ran a good cube and burley trail but struggled to keep our baits in the zone. We changed our techniques to suit and were rewarded in the end with a good looking bin with the best being 6lb and in great condition. We also pulled a Kahawai out of a large school with a tuna bungy.
the Kahawai was turned into a marinated raw fish dish and the snapper in the classic flour and butter fry up. Here is some pictures for your approval and son others of summer moments at the Taupo bay Holiday park and at the Beach 

the Cavalli"s

thats me on the tractor

the catch

the Beach

Cavalli's

my daughters and I at the inaugural tractor spectacular of taupo Bay there was about 70 tractors look it up on Facebook there is a link on the Taupo bay hoiday park Page

My favorite tractor of the day

Debbies 7 kg snapper

large packhorse Lobster for Hot Tuna

check out our face book page for more Taupo bay holiday park

thanks for your time guys and gals hope you enjoy the pics Jon

josa1

Great pictures!  Thanks for sharing!

When and where I grew up I was more used to John Deere Green.

josa1

Shark Hunter

Great pics Jon! ;)
Thank for taking us along. ;D
Life is Good!

redsetta

Magic spot Jon - thanks for showing us around!
Look forward to coming up for a vist ;)
Cheers mate
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

jonnou

no problem Josa glad you liked the purple tractor
Like your new avatar Mr shark.
look forward to seeing you here Justin we have lots of room Now

Shark Hunter

Thanks Jon. You need to take some time off buddy. I work a lot of 12 hour shifts and the occasional 16, but not for a month straight. All work and no play will make you punchy! ;D
Life is Good!

foakes

Stunning waters, Jon --

Great catch --

Good pics --

Thank You for sharing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wallacewt

i long for those calm waters
thanks for the pics

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ossipeter

Thanks for sharing and tight lines. Nice pictures in these winterdays.

BMITCH

Absolutely beautiful! Your a lucky man. Thanks for taking us there.
luck is the residue of design.