Is this spool reusable?

Started by FatTuna, January 30, 2015, 02:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

What do you guys think, toss or reuse? It's pretty corroded but I was thinking about sanding it down to make it smooth.

Tightlines667

You should be able to recondition/debur it so it retains full functionality.  Keeping it well greased should help to deter future degaradation/corrosiin/electrolisis issues.  Replacing is an option if it makes financial cents.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

That spool has lots of life left, sand it down with some 400-500 grid and load it with grease, as Thightline666 mentioned. you could also  apply a coat of nail polish, color doesn't matter, whathever you could steal from your girlfriend/wife ;).
Make sure the lip on the spool doesn't have any nicks. if so, sand them down as well and do the same.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FatTuna

Awesome, I already sanded down the spool lip. It worked like a charm. I've got some 400 in the basement.

Thanks guys. I'm going to put some effort into saving it. I overpaid for this reel. I bid before having my coffee. Not a smart move.