Freeing up frozen parts

Started by Reel 224, May 03, 2015, 06:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

How can I free up parts that have been salt water corroded to the point of almost welded. I have a part that I have tried to free with 321,WD-40 with no success, right now I am soaking it in vinegar and baking soda hopping it will do the trick. I don't have access to a ultrasonic cleaner. So any suggestions?   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

What kind of part?

What kind of metal?

Vinegar generally works -- but without an US cleaner it also takes a few days of patience, sometimes.

And sometimes a couple of days immersed in penetrating oil.

When your budget allows -- consider getting a good used US cleaner -- made of SS from a local dental supply company.

They take them in trade, and will generally sell them in the $100 cash range.

I have an L&R -- but there are 2 or 3 other good brands out there.

You are doing, and will continue to do a lot of good reel repair.  Plus, the gunsmiths I know use these to clean parts as well as brass.

Your frozen part would take between 12-24 minutes to free up in a small vat of vinegar.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

Time will be your best friend. I use a product called Blaster, it's a similar product like WD40, the sooner you apply it the better, gently tap the part once in a while to ease the penetration . It will come loose if you're patient

Marc..

Reel 224

Ive never had the need for a US Cleaner in my Gunsmith work, however I can certainly see the need for one now. I did let that part soak for about four hours and it finally freed up, it was really corroded but not to the point of decay. The parts are aluminum stainless steel and a brass nut, it was mostly concentrated to the aluminum alloy. It was the bail pickup on the RU Mer that I have been rebuilding. When I get around to seeing my Dentist I will ask him if he knows where I can get a US Cleaner. Thanks gentleman.

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

my trick is the torch, followed by the freeze-off spray.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!