Black 349

Started by theswimmer, February 04, 2015, 05:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 05, 2015, 12:50:58 AM
Quote from: basto on February 05, 2015, 12:11:44 AM
Mine has a 3.25 gear ratio.

Basto, that is one beautiful reel........in reel collectors lingo we call that a "shelfie". Too nice to fish. The 3.25 is high speed, and your beauty has just one shift lever which would make it a 349H.

Side Note: Extra spools for this reel are next to impossible to locate cause they do not interchange with other models(49, 149, 249).
Thank you sir. This reel is one of my shelf dwellers. I only have a few like that.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

theswimmer

I know the black 349 is a 2 lever model.
I also know that the black one came first because I rember the day
that Grandpa bought the red reel at Ayoobs hardware in Chester
and then back at the cabin comparing it to the black reel.
Maybe about 1967?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

basto

Quote from: theswimmer on February 05, 2015, 12:05:42 PM
nice reel Basto!
Thank you sir. It is the only 349 I have ever seen on the second hand market in Australia and was a bargain.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

barkley1956

I just today broke down my first 349 for a friend of mine. It is black with two levers and has "Master Mariner" embossed on it. I will reassemble it and check the ratio. I will be looing to upgrade the drag stack on it as well if anyone can lend some info along those lines.

Keta

Quote from: barkley1956 on February 16, 2015, 01:38:18 AM
I just today broke down my first 349 for a friend of mine. It is black with two levers and has "Master Mariner" embossed on it. I will reassemble it and check the ratio. I will be looing to upgrade the drag stack on it as well if anyone can lend some info along those lines.

It's easier than counting teeth to figure out if it's a 349 or a 349H.  Take the handle, star and spacer off and try to remove the drag stack, if the ears on the top eared washer hang up on the frame and can not be removed it's a 349H.  If you have it apart the gears are obvious, especially the pinion.

They are different but a 113H gearsleeve will work on a 349/349H, some SS AR dogs are still available. I think Smooth Drag has the 5+1 sets.

Here's some of my tinkering with the 349H, the pinions are in the wrong place in the photo, the main gear on the right and the pinion on the left are 349, the other two are 349H.  The drag stack on the right is original, the one on the left is a 7+1 stack, I have fit a 9+1 stack in 2 of my reels but I will not make them for sail.  I think Smooth Drag has the 5+1 sets, they might be 7+1.

It fits!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

surfcaster

I did mine a few years back Dawn from smooth drag was very helpful & hooked me up
with everything I needed.
tight lines Richie

Keta

5+1 349H with the old drag washers on the lower left.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

surfcaster

Hands down one of the best deep sea bottom fishing reels ever made.
you can reel anything up with this reel.

Keta

Quote from: surfcaster on February 16, 2015, 02:13:11 AM
 Hands down one of the best deep sea bottom fishing reels ever made.
you can reel anything up with this reel.

When used with mono on large deep water fish, like pacific halibut, they tend to warp the heavy bronze spools.  Braid cures this problem.

Mark Twain

surfcaster

I put   cortland blackspot  looks like dacron but thinner I think its made with kevlar came out just before super braids, with dacron backing , I would love to have an aluminum spool for that reel.

Keta

Quote from: surfcaster on February 16, 2015, 02:43:44 AM
I would love to have an aluminum spool for that reel.

They might as well be built out of unobtanium!   I have 2 of them though.

I have some of that line on a Penn 10, it's 25 years old and still good.

Mark Twain

surfcaster

i saw one on berinsons  a while back it was like 80 something for a used one.

Keta

;)

Mark Twain

funhog

Be  careful: I was shopping  long and hard for over a year trying to locate a standard narrow Newell aluminum spool  for one of my 349's. I saw the Barrensens add and was ready to buy it after three phone conversations and specific measurements verified. Sent one of the reps I work with to go get it if it checked out ok. He measured the width and its a Wahoo Special spool in the wrong box. 60 mile drive for nothing . I ended up cutting a great deal with Randy of "Vintage Tackle".  Its a hard to find item but it really does improve the casting performance of  the reel and the Smooth Drag 5-stack is perfect for the offshore fishing I do here in So.CA