Rod Suggestion

Started by DFT, February 06, 2015, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFT

I am looking for a fishing rod for fly line fishing with 60# test line.  There are so many options out there and I just can't make up my mind.  I will use this outfit for tuna fishing or yellowtail at the bottom.

SoCalAngler

GFGR765L or GFGR700H depending on the length you like.

MarkT

The 765L and 700H are 50# sticks at best, not 60#.  In the Calstar Grafighters, look at a 765ML or M or 700XH.  The 40-100 rated rods tend to be good 60# rods.  The 6460XH's from any number of makes are right there in a glass rod.

Besides, friends don't let friends fish 60#!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

DFT

Thanks guys for your inputs.  I have 660XH and 6465XH for bottom yellowtail fishing, but the are kind of heavy.  What I would like to have is something I can cast better.  I have heard the Phoenix Rods are pretty good.  Thoughts!!!

MarkT

Well, I'm a Phenix fan and have a bunch of them. The Phenix PHD-700X2H isn't too heavy and has plenty of back for 60#.  I took it on my 10 day for a Makaira 16 SEa with 60-80# windon's but didn't need anything that heavy so I used it for yoyo with an HX Raptor w/50# and I think, some dropper loop.  It was good for wahoo bombs too!  My 'real' 50# Phenix is a PSW-700XH.

The BFT in my avatar came on a Phenix PSW-760H with 40#.

Keta

I fish 60# with a 6465H but I fish short topshots and the softer rod gives me a buffer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DFT

Well, I definitely will look into getting a Phoenix rod as It will fit my MK II 15 SEa better.  G Loomis is also an option.

MarkT

I like my Seeker 6465h too. I got a 45# YT on it with 50#!

The Phenix Hybrids are very fast and don't offer the shock absorbsion of a standard Black Diamond... I only have the Hybirds in the 700X2H and X3H. I prefer the Black Diamond rods whenever they're available but they don't cover the heavier weights. I fish short topshots and the bendier action helps.

Phenix now has the Axis line too that are composites a lot like a Calstar Grafighters.  They are available in heavier rods but are still pretty light.

If you can make it to the Long Beach Fred Hall Show you can check out all the rods from all the manufacturers... Calstar, Seeker, Phenix, Etc.

Alan has lots of Phenix's too, both Black Diamond and Hybrids! However, they work better with reels on them!

DFT

Ok thanks for the information and detail analysis.  Alan just did some work on my Trinidad TN30.  It is on its way back via usps.

Newell Nut

Jon has some Rainshadows that will fit what you are looking for as well and for a few more bucks I like the Seekers since they tend to have a softer tip which cast good.

DFT

Well, I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions.  I think I am going to get the Phoenix Black Diamond 700 XH which is rated between 30 and 80 lbs.  I can use this rod to fish with 50 or 60 lb line.  The Only thing is this rod is quite expensive, it is as expensive as my G-Loomis. 

MarkT

It'll be a little light for 60# but I really like it for 50#.

DFT

O boy, you've got me thinking again. Hahaha.  I went to Bass Pro last night and I really like the Phenix 700XH, it fits my MK 15II SEa quite good.  The reel seats on other rods are too big.  The Hybrid Series are just beyond my budget.  The closest rod I have for fishing 60# is a G Loomis Pelagic Series PSR 78-50C SU rated between 40-60 lb, a 6'6" rod that has a very fast action and a lot of back bone.  The only thing is it is kind of short.  Fishing on a private is ok but not on a perry boat.  I have a 6-day trip coming up in October and I try to get a rod that can cast better than my 6'6" G Loomis.

MarkT

I didn't know BPS carries Phenix! A lot of what is appropriate for a given usage is personal preference. If it felt good to you then it's good. You probably won't be using 60 all that much and I really like the 700xh for 50#. You could also drop down to 40# on it, it's very versatile.  Like most 30-80 rated rods, it's best in the middle of the rating with enough tip to fish the low end and enough back to fish at the top... But not optimal at either extreme.

I have a Mak 16 SEa with 100# hollow spectra with a loop at the end. I use pre made leaders of 60-80# fluoro that are attached loop to loop. That way I can easily and quickly swap them out as necessary. I use 50 and 80 the most and 60 the least. Afterall, if they'll eat 60 they'll eat 80 so feed them the rope!

Keta

Mark, we were getting rocked fishing for large YT in the Santa Roselea, Baja Sur area and we ended up fishing 80#.  Something even larger almost spooled me and bent a heavy 5/0 Owner Gorilla hook.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain