SERVICING — Shimano Antares DC7

Started by LLCC, June 14, 2016, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLCC

This reel has many parts that only fit one way. Screws have different sizes and lengths, Gears and flywheels have different faces and springs have different sides. So make careful notes of the orientation when you strip the reel and mark which side is up/down. Also, have the schematic ready for reference. I've attached a scan of the DC7 schematic for you to print out enlarged. I found the original schematic that came with the reel too small to discern the tiny details with my old eyes. I think the Calais DC sold in the US have similar parts except for an additional part - BNT2404 which is an anti reverse pawl. Come to think of it, the additional part may be a useful add on mod for Antares owners who upgrade their drag ratings.

To red the full Step-by-step guide with pictures, please visit my blog
https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/servicing-shimano-antares-dc7/

HTH,

LL
Lawrence Lee

johndtuttle

Thanks for that and for the very detailed post on your blog!  ;)

exp2000

I serviced a Calais DC just recently.

Did your reel have the "motor coil windings" as pictured.

I think that it might use back EMF for cast control.

The one thing that can be tricky with these reels is all the case screws are secreted in hidden spaces.

They are not openly visible.

Thanks for publishing the rebuild
~

oc1

I bought a gently used Antares from a member here.  It's a really beautiful reel with exceptional performance.  However, it is a little large for my needs and I did not like the extra weight that comes with the metal frame.  Unfortunately, I was caught inside by a wave on a rising swell, flipped the canoe and dropped the rig into ten feet of water.  The area was searched with mask and snorkel for hours over the next few days but I never did find it and, perhaps thankfully, did not have deal with the electronics and tedious refurbishment.  Sorry I did not take better care of it Mike.
-steve

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on June 14, 2016, 06:20:04 PM
I bought a gently used Antares from a member here.  It's a really beautiful reel with exceptional performance.  However, it is a little large for my needs and I did not like the extra weight that comes with the metal frame.  Unfortunately, I was caught inside by a wave on a rising swell, flipped the canoe and dropped the rig into ten feet of water.  The area was searched with mask and snorkel for hours over the next few days but I never did find it and, perhaps thankfully, did not have deal with the electronics and tedious refurbishment.  Sorry I did not take better care of it Mike.
-steve

That's funny because the one I was recently given to service was fished up from the bottom of a creek.

I had to replace the maingear but I refrained from disassembling the digital cast control unit as the adjustment knobs turned freely after a thorough cleaning and the list price of the replacement module was U$500 so I decided to leave well enough alone.

It's a good idea to tether your outfits to your craft. Can save you a lot of heartbreak.
~

LLCC

Quote from: exp2000 on June 14, 2016, 05:36:22 PM
I serviced a Calais DC just recently.

Did your reel have the "motor coil windings" as pictured.

I think that it might use back EMF for cast control.

The one thing that can be tricky with these reels is all the case screws are secreted in hidden spaces.

They are not openly visible.

Thanks for publishing the rebuild
~

Yes, it's the same windings on mine. However, the program on mine (JDM model) is different from the Calais. I've a friend who owned both the Calais and DC7 and he said the DC7 program allow it to cast further.
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

Quote from: exp2000 on June 14, 2016, 06:36:00 PM
Quote from: oc1 on June 14, 2016, 06:20:04 PM
I bought a gently used Antares from a member here.  It's a really beautiful reel with exceptional performance.  However, it is a little large for my needs and I did not like the extra weight that comes with the metal frame.  Unfortunately, I was caught inside by a wave on a rising swell, flipped the canoe and dropped the rig into ten feet of water.  The area was searched with mask and snorkel for hours over the next few days but I never did find it and, perhaps thankfully, did not have deal with the electronics and tedious refurbishment.  Sorry I did not take better care of it Mike.
-steve

That's funny because the one I was recently given to service was fished up from the bottom of a creek.

I had to replace the maingear but I refrained from disassembling the digital cast control unit as the adjustment knobs turned freely after a thorough cleaning and the list price of the replacement module was U$500 so I decided to leave well enough alone.

It's a good idea to tether your outfits to your craft. Can save you a lot of heartbreak.
~

I was told by Shimano's tech that the DC module is solid state. That, I presume means its waterproof. I've also been told to keep all oils away from the DC motor as it will cause the unit to read wrongly.

HTH,

LL
Lawrence Lee