OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Holy cow, what a win @ 14.99...well done!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 09, 2016, 04:37:48 AM
Holy cow, what a win @ 14.99...well done!

:)

I'M hoping using just one tailplate will cover my cost.  Plus it should make a cool display piece with my OC related group.  Don'the thino there is a suitable tailgate for replace the cracked on on my 300 yd Take-A-Part though :(
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'M hoping using just one tailgate will cover my cost.  Plus it should make a cool display piece with my OC related group.  Don'the thino there is a suitable tailgate for replace the cracked on on my 300 yd Take-A-Part though Sad

John,

At a $14.99 win, your cost would have been covered if the parts bin were empty. Ocean City parts kit are great finds. They were offered by the company long before they were in the catalogs. Some of the kits were very extensive. I am not sure the exact year of yours. I would have to compare the models the kit covers to what was available and when it was available. Here are couple that were in the 1940 catalog:

Yours looks like it has been used and has more parts in it than it should. The best thing to do with them is to have the correct parts in the corresponding boxes. I had a very lucky find about a year ago and got a dealer kit from the 1930's loaded with many German Silver parts:

All the original parts were not there; but, many of them were. All the large parts in my kit were gone, unlike yours, you still have many of the large parts like side plates and handle knobs. That is great.

In my opinion, you stole yours, they do not come up for sale that often

There are other kits in the catalogs in later years also:

You got a great deal on a very interesting part of OC history.

Penn Chronology

I believe Fred Oakes has some of these kits.

Penn Chronology

John,

Found the documentation on your kit by comparing all the models numbers on that little piece of paper to the years those model number reels were made. Your kit covers reels made in 1948 and 1949. The kit was offered in the 1949 catalog. it was considered a very extensive kit and was quite expensive for its day.

I think I need to get a life :(

Tightlines667

Mine is just a baby, compared to that full sized kit of yours Mike.  Just based on the address on the catalogs, the color scheme on the front, and the known production dates for reel models listed.. I would guesstimate this kit having been produced during the 1948-58 postwar period, maybe more likely during the first few years?

I see we were looking at the same catalogs and info, and posting at the same time... and more or less came to tell same conclusion.. lol.

Though your resources, or mental faculties must have been a bit better then mine, since your date range is half mine..

;)
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust based on the address on the catalogs, the color scheme on the front, and the known production dates for reel models listed.. I would guesstimate this kit having been produced during the 1948-58 postwar period.

Nope, many of the reels in your list were not made after 1949. The kit had a very small window of production.

foakes

I have an assortment of kits from manufacturers over the years. 

But only one OC -- the number 40 Mike is showing on the right side for fresh water reels.

Now, if you are talking old Shakespeare fresh levelwinds and fresh small conventionals -- I have around 75 pounds of parts such as gears, posts, stands, LWs, worms, and more.

That is the problem with keeping this stuff for so long -- it was ancient when I got it as New Old Stock from a reel repair shop estate going back to who knows when?  Now, 40 years later, I may have outlived its usefulness.  Do not think I have used more than 1 or 2 parts in that time.

Problem is -- I organized it into various bins of the same part -- but have little or no idea what it might go to.

And while I have perhaps 200 old small conventionals -- like Shakes, Pflueger, Langley, Bronson, South Bend, and many others -- I have little interest.  Maybe someday, likely not.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat is the problem with keeping this stuff for so long -- it was ancient when I got it as New Old Stock from a reel repair shop estate going back to who knows when?  Now, 40 years later, I may have outlived its usefulness.  Do not think I have used more than 1 or 2 parts in that time.

And there lies the essence of hoarding. When I see an massive accumulation of old things, my eyes immediately start to scan everything looking for key items. I pass over 99% of the hoard, even if it is as neat as yours Fred. If the hoard is as neat as yours, it is easier to scan because I do not have to look past the dirt. To me, having five Penn 85 bridges is better than having five hundred Penn 85 bridges, simply because I know I will more than likely never need any.  But, I will take all the NOS 1940 Penn 12/0 trim rings and stands I can carry.

This mindset exists in all collectible things. Common is common and for the fun of it, common things are OK; but, if you are hoping to make a special collection, you are better off with 10 rare items than a thousand common ones.

Fred, I find your accumulation amazing. What makes me feel it is amazing is the level of neatness your stuff is arranged in. That impresses me; but, the quantity scares me for exactly the reason you just stated.

fishhead69

Great websites and cool stuff. Here is another one to look at for you guys and gals:

http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/

Penn Chronology

QuoteGreat websites and cool stuff. Here is another one to look at for you guys and gals:

http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/

This site was founded by the late Mr. Robert Ellis and is now maintained by ORCA members and sustained by member donations.

Tightlines667

My early Ocean City reel collection has grown a bit.  

Thought I would share...

This group includes(From left to right, front then back):
-Dover Club, No?, ca.1922-32, 250yd
-Ike Walton, No.100, ca. 1932-40(earlier version), 250yd
-Ike Walton, No.100, ca.1932-40(later version), 250yd
-Bay City, No.112, ca. 1940-1958,250yd
-Chelsea FarKast, No.116W, ca.1939-42, 300yds
-Take-A-Part No.102, ca.post 1935, 300yd
-St. Luice, No.981, ca. 1948-57, 150yd, w/box (note: badge should be painted blue/white)
-Orlando 6/0, ca. 1929-34, No.106
-Long Key No.115, ca.1931-35, 500yd, w/thumbing brake
-Panama 10/0, No.141, 600yd of 24 linen, ca. 1937/first year model, (w/incorrect/early ca. 1938 Penn Log Knob)*Also sold by Motague as a No.T10/0 Tampico
-Ocean City Kit No. 03, Ca.1948/9, $50.00 list price!
-Brigantine No.111, ca.1932-41, 250yd, boxed
-Edward Vom Hofe Universal Star 6/0, No.621, Ca.1931(production#306),w/ad on harness and brace lugs, and thumbing brake (incorrect, 9/0 handle arm, and homemade wood knob)
-Rod in the back is a Montague 'Gulf' boat rod

I am looking forward to Mike's book, where I am hoping to fill in some of my gaps in OC knowledge, and maybe narrow down the production date ranges for many of these models.
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Very nice John. I you have any production questions. I might be able to answer your questions. I have all the catalogs and much ephemera. If you have a particular reel you want to know production information about, let me know.
When the book is released, there will be a section that flows all the production from 1923 to 1957. I stopped in 1958, because that is when True Temper took over and I cannot document into the True Temper years. I also feel that True Temper eventually cheapened the Ocean City product and I do not like when a maker does that. I feel that more time in production means a better product, not a degraded product. I feel that True Temper expanded on the Ocean City freshwater line of reels; but, went backwards concerning the saltwater reels.

Ocean City is not like Penn. They were much more diversified across the saltwater / freshwater tackle offerings and their products did not originate from one founder, like Penn is.

When I started the book, I was not sure if I could finish it. It was about a two year project and I still am unsure of whether I did a good enough job. Time will tell.

Tightlines667

Mostly interested in the early Long Beach model progression (which you diverged from a bit in your Reel News articles), and more info regarding the early Joe Coxe/OC connection, and Coxe reel evolution from the same time period.  Also interested in learning more regarding the early Pflueger Atlapacs, and similar models and any connections between Pflueger and their competitors that may have existed during this timeframe.  I can wait for the OC book though, and do some additional research myself on the other topics.

BTW, just snagged another OC-DC...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/401091790392

$30 shipped seemed a good deal :)

Hope springs eternal

cbar45

That's quite a collection you have there John.

I notice the anti-backlash posts and thumbing brake on the Chelsea FarKast and Long Key.

If those were in my collection, I'd try tossing out a few casts just to see how well it works..;)

Chad