Stradic 200fj a bit tight

Started by nagz, October 25, 2012, 02:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagz

Hi folks,

Just pulled down, cleaned out and re-greased a new shimano stradic 2500fj.
I coated all the internals, screws and bits and pieces in Cal's reel and drag grease, and upgraded the drag to carbontex, again coated in cals.
Put it all back together, but now, the reel seems a little harder to turn, not much, just a little.

I'm guessing this is just due to the reel now containing a more adequate amount of grease as opposed to the amount that it came with from the store

Can someone please reeassure me that this is the case :) i'm absolutely positive the reel was reassmbled correctly

any input would be greatly approeciated

cheers

johndtuttle

Quote from: nagz on October 25, 2012, 02:19:10 AM
Hi folks,

Just pulled down, cleaned out and re-greased a new shimano stradic 2500fj.
I coated all the internals, screws and bits and pieces in Cal's reel and drag grease, and upgraded the drag to carbontex, again coated in cals.
Put it all back together, but now, the reel seems a little harder to turn, not much, just a little.

I'm guessing this is just due to the reel now containing a more adequate amount of grease as opposed to the amount that it came with from the store

Can someone please reeassure me that this is the case :) i'm absolutely positive the reel was reassmbled correctly

any input would be greatly approeciated

cheers

Yes, especially in the smaller sizes that have so little cranking power if you are liberal with marine grease they can make the reel feel sluggish. Shimano's own grease is lighter stuff (I think Penn is as well) and will restore a more free spinning feel.

Lube the main shaft with light oil like Corrosion-x (and you don't want any grease near the Roller Clutch (ie AR Bearing) and note the oil port for your line roller (next to the screw) to take care of that as well.

best

nagz

Hi John

Thanks for the informative reply
I don't mind the new feel of the reel, it's a good trade off for the peace of mind that the reel is now more protected
Ill be doing a 4000fj tomorrow, so hopefully that goes as well as the 2500 did
Cheers