Bass Buster

Started by Newell Nut, February 15, 2015, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This a Rainshadow ISWB945 2-6 oz lure rating and 15-30 line weight and only a 5 oz blank. (7'-10" length) I built this one for my son and this is the same setup used by a lot of the FLW tour pros for a flipping stick with heavy jigs. This skinny stick has amazing lifting power and some of these guys are even using 80 lb power pro and locked down drags on their Lews for fishing the heavy grass.
I built another one for a buddy for his Newell 220 and he loves it. I have another order for one for a 220 and I have one to build for myself as well when I get time.

foakes

Rainshadow is a very high quality blank, Dwight --

And you really crafted a super Rod with that combination of function and simple beauty.

Perfect combination of superior components and skillful thread work.

Thanks for sharing this.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Very  nice job Dwight, he will love it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Very nice sir.  Love that green tint of the blank.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Thanks guys, those green blanks really look nice in the sun. Winn grips that you may know from golf grips is into fishing grips now. I have a set of red Winns for my rod when I have time to do it. They are producing different colors for different firmness. My buddy that I get my parts from already had a bunch glued together and waiting for guides so I grabbed a red one which has a firmer feel to the texture and they are supposed be tacky when wet which is another plus. He pulled a new 8-1 ratio Lew's out of his gear bag with 80 lb braid on it and tossed that in with all the other stuff that I bought.

Tightlines667

Interesting grips.  Should be perfect for Florida.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

One of my favorite over the counter Rod brands is/was Kunnan.

It is a Japanese company, I believe...

Anyway, they made good Golf Club shafts -- and decided to try fishing rods.

After buying a few, and enjoying them immensely -- the company dropped rods and went back to just golf club shafts.  Story I heard (do not know if true) is that they discovered that for the quality they were bringing to the market -- they could not compete.  And there were some other issues, like a fire in the warehouse, and another company making their leftovers, etc.

I still have a couple of their rods.

One is a 7.5' 4-piece spin/fly combo I use when backpacking.  When assembled -- you cannot feel the difference between it and a one piece.  Good back bone -- but a strong limber fighting curve.

Still love my Fenwicks -- but these Kunnans are fantastic.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Dwight! "FORE"! :D
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Those Kunnans were great rods and then they vanished. Several of my old buddies in NC used them crappie fishing and loved them and I never did end up buying one.

fIsHsTiiCkS