What Ultralight rod for my 110 or 265?

Started by Balvar24, October 24, 2019, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

What ultralight rod does everyone like for their Quick reel?  I've got a couple of ultralights (110,110n, and 265) that need an appropriate rod.  No sense in them setting on the shelf.

I usually fish for bluegill, and like a short rod for fishing close quarters in the boat. 

I've also got a couple of young kids that I like to have an inexpensive short rod for.

mo65

As far as inexpensive rods go...Eagle Claw is hard to beat. Tons of them on eBay between $20-$30. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Personal preferences, Balv --

I personally use Fenwicks in 5' or 5.5' length for my ultralight & microlite reels.

I also use ugly stiks.

One rod that I have purchased a dozen of recently for myself and clients, is.

Eagle Claws.  These used to be manufactured by Wright-McGill, here in the US.  Maybe they still are, do not know.

What I DO know -- is that they are a high quality glass rod that I can buy 4 or 5 of for the price of one Fenwick.  And so far, they have been bulletproof with great backbone and action.

Truthfully, I have given at least 10 of these away to clients and friends over the last year.

They make a great line of rods currently, and I could be wrong -- but I think they are assembled or made here still in the US (not sure about that, since the price is so low).

I have used these recently with great results.

They are attractive, excellent components, glass -- not graphite (a big plus in my book), and the low price is close to very hard to believe at this point.

I order a half dozen at a time from Wal-Mart.  Free shipping to your door, and the prices range between $17 to $28!!!

Just go online -- set up a free account -- pick the rods you want -- and order them.  They will arrive in just a few days, or less.

Others may have their favorites that are also very effective.

Love a DQ 265 Microlite on an ultralight rod.

After I was able to earn enough $$$ in my later teens and early 20's -- I did a LOT of backpacking into remote backcountry fishing areas up in the Sierra Nevadas for trout.  My best rods were the Fenwick chocolate 4-piece pack rods in the triangle tube, and also the Wright-McGill 6-piece Trailmasters in the aluminum round tubes.

I still have those rods today -- after years of backpacking trips that we still do -- and they show little, if any signs of wear -- after possibly hundreds of trips.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

I agree with Mo and Fred.

Eagle Claw Featherlite. I own three, the 5' model, the 5-1/2' model (those two are older), and a 6'. 

Also have a very whippy St. Croix Supreme, 7' ultralight, almost considered a willow stick by some of the old timers. 

And a few Ugly Stiks.  One is 4-1/2'.  Good for fishing tight spots from shore, also a good bait rod for catching shiners, suckers, and chubs.  Shakespeare also makes a Micro-Series 4-1/2' ultralight.  Shakey also has a 4-1/2' Microspin.

And one  more nice one is the Berkley Cherrywood 5-1/2', rated light, a wee bit more backboned, excellent for setting the hook on mini-finess plastic baits for light bass fishing with maybe a 4" finessee worm or a 1-1/2"
Rat-L-Trap.

xjchad

I only have one UL rod at the moment and it's a 5' Ugly Stik.
I'm using it with my Daiwa 7250RLA right now and I love it.
I'd love to try one of those Eagle Claw Featherlite's though, they look great!
Have to put that on the list.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

TRS

Can't go wrong with the featherlites or ugly Stik, the eagle claw is hard to beat in the bang for your buck category.  I have some 30 year old ones that are still good rods.
They call it fishing, not catching

Balvar24

Quote from: festus on October 24, 2019, 03:18:38 PM
I agree with Mo and Fred.

Shakey also has a 4-1/2' Microspin.

I have a couple of these.  One is a 7 1/2' foot ultralight.  The other was a 4'6" ultralight.  I liked the rods for the money, but being graphite, they are a little fragile.  

I broke the 4'6" one.  I drew back with the 7 1/2' to cast a drop shot rig out of a rowboat and the dangling weight grabbed the 4'6" pole.  Into the pond it went.  I recovered it ok.  However, when I went to pick the 4'6" rig up, I grabbed it 2/3 towards the top and broke the end off.  It was quite the debacle on my part.  

My three year old was not happy that I broke his pole.

Balvar24

Quote from: foakes on October 24, 2019, 03:04:11 PM

After I was able to earn enough $$$ in my later teens and early 20's -- I did a LOT of backpacking into remote backcountry fishing areas up in the Sierra Nevadas for trout.  My best rods were the Fenwick chocolate 4-piece pack rods in the triangle tube, and also the Wright-McGill 6-piece Trailmasters in the aluminum round tubes.

Fred

I picked up one of these trailmasters un-fished from an auction.  It now wears a Mitchell 308.  I just picked up a Mitchell fly reel to go on it this week.

Balvar24

I found a 4 1/2' Conolon in serviceable condition.  It's only a two star, but I'm going to see how it works.

happyhooker

Festus, I'm drooling just a little (not an outright slobber, but a legitimate lip-wetter) over your UL arsenal.  I've looked at & heard OK things about the Shaky Micro-Series too; cork handles, varies UL lengths from 4" 6" to 7" 6", and the price won't leave you worrying if the kids get a little rambunctious.

Probably my favorite UL rod is a Mitchell Classic 300 1-piece IMG 6 graphite (1BSL-150), 5 ft., for 1-6 lb. test line, rated for 1/16-1/4 oz. lures.  Found it sticking out of a trash can with a missing tip; rehabbed it; the rod allows the most amazingly long casts with 4 lb. test line.  Nice green color.

Another rehab project was a Daiwa DSH F562L, 5' 6", 2-piece, for 2-10 lb. test line; my wife likes her Daiwa UL too (Model DSF 562
LRS; 5' 6", line 2-8 lb., 1/16-3/8 oz. lures) that she uses with a Shock 1500B and 6 lb. test.

I, too, like the looks of some of the Eagle Claws; would love to try a newer one.  Had an old model about 25 yrs. ago that is now gone, but recollect it being a good one.  They make decent pack (multi-piece) rods too.

Lastly, had an old (late 1970s vintage) Heddon Mark 1 fiberglass, red, with black/white/silver trim, 5 ft., with cork handle and slip rings reel mount; extremely whippy action that made every bluegill feel like a decent sized bass; don't have it anymore either & kick myself everytime I think about it being gone; always have my eyes open for a replacement.  That black trim would make a black DQ look awesome on it, and they both hail from the same generation.

Frank

Swami805

If there's a tackle store in your area go check some out and see what you like. Nothing like pulling on them instead of a pig-in-a-poke online.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Balvar24

Unfortunately, there is no such thing in my area.  It's hard to find a decent bait shop.  Two tubes of crickets cost me $12.00 earlier this summer!

Balvar24

Dragging this old thread back up.  Didn't seem like it's been going on 4 years.

One of the mail order places had a BnM "Little Lucy" 5'0" ultralight fiberglass rod on sale for $12.  Usually, they're about $20.  It reminds me quite a bit of the old whippy Eagle Claw rods.  Just a bit stiffer than some Conolons I have.

They're gold in color like the old Conolon Companions and 5-stars.  I don't suppose the fish care about the color, but I think they look good.

reelynew

Quote from: Balvar24 on March 02, 2023, 08:54:28 PMDragging this old thread back up. 

Thank you for dragging it back-up.  I learned something from it as well. 
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.