New 113n or 114

Started by Rivverrat, February 16, 2015, 11:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Daron Ive read that two or three times. The bricks in that wagon....while it can be said that is not the same as fishing it. It is something that gives me valid information on what the reel is capable of. More than anything else it is something very close to what I've done myself.  Reassuring me that I'm not crazy or there are in fact others with my same malady that are getting along in life just fine in spite of our affliction.

Either way I can now stand resolute & most confident in my endeavor of catching Big Cats or standing in the backyard, temp at 18 degrees, smile on my face, repeatedly tossing a sinker that some say is to light,   from my Andros aiming at small objects 30 something yards in front of me. What ever it is I've got it bad. Been that way since I was 7 years old....Jeff   

Shark Hunter

Jeff,
Sal is our R&D Department. If he can move that wagon. That's is the top rated drag for that reel. Granted, top rated doesn't mean it won't explode after an extended period of time at that setting.
That triple is a fine reel. It has to be for Sal to give you his recommendation.
I don't want to say one way or another which reel is best for you.
As my Man Tom Hyrinuk puts on every product he makes. Made in the U.S.A.
It may be tweaked a little here and there. But I will fish with nothing else. ;)
I need the capacity of those bigger Senators and I know if anything fails. It is on me, because I did all of the modifications on my own. Sure, I fish other brands, but just for bait. ;)
I'm probably going to get scolded for this. ::)
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Oh ya it's understood that a reel that can do 50 lbs. of drag "DOES NOT" mean it would be wise to fish it at that setting. But what it tells me is that the reel will probably do well at 30-35 lbs. of drag.
I look at the diameter of the spindle on the Omoto Triple & I think I would want a spindle with a bit more diameter if I was going to fish a reel at something as crazy as 50 lbs. of drag.
So I completely had the understanding of what was going on prior.

Shark Hunter

I'm probably still going to get scolded. ;D
Just get yourself a 114H or in my own opinion, a 9/0 and those cats will be coming in just like snoopy poles with wieners. You can just forget the casting, and canoe your bait out.
That's how I do it. I rig up my bait and Kayak it out. Paddle back and wait.
It works pretty good in the Ocean! ;)
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

How come the 6/0 H2 only has 5 holes for screws? Was the stand integral with the frame? Or is this the 1/2 frame model?

Shark Hunter

The H2 China models only have 5 screws. That is the easiest way to tell a China reel from a US made one. Not sure on the details of the frame. I think it is some sort of graphite half frame. I've never held one.
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

If I go this rout there will be no graphite, bakelite or flashlites on my reel. So the China made H2 is out.

Bryan Young

I have several USA made 114Hs with me at the moment.  They all have 5 screws.  Penn came out with this style when it went to the graphite and some aluminum 1/2 framed reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Ok based on Bryan's answer on another thread there is a point when to much drag could shred stainless gears on a 114. People refer to the 6/0 as a beast. OK how much drag can one properly built take with out worrying it will come apart?

Shark Hunter

Bryan,
You are correct on the Aluminum half frames. I just stay away from post models with 5 screws. Without the aluminum frame, those two less screws mean a weaker reel.
Riverrat, 20 to 25 lbs is a safe drag number with a stock 114H.
Unless you hot rod it a bit with an Aluminum frame. I wouldn't go past this point.
We have been over this. 114H with Aluminum frame, Black pearl gears.
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 17, 2015, 09:14:59 PM
Which one?

I have both.  The Omoto will put out 50 lbs of drag for a short time which is what I think you're after.  For sustained run I would fished and Accuratized or Tiburoned 113H or 114H with all the upgrade.  It doesn't look like you need a 2 speed though but the lower gear is nice to winch the fish in.  At 50 lbs of drag, I might be more worry about the hook pulling out.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 19, 2015, 06:38:07 AM
Ok based on Bryan's answer on another thread there is a point when to much drag could shred stainless gears on a 114. People refer to the 6/0 as a beast. OK how much drag can one properly built take with out worrying it will come apart?
I don't know the strength of stainless steel gears.  I was referring to stock brass gears.  Sorry for the confusion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 19, 2015, 06:47:18 AM
Bryan,
You are correct on the Aluminum half frames. I just stay away from post models with 5 screws. Without the aluminum frame, those two less screws mean a weaker reel.
Riverrat, 20 to 25 lbs is a safe drag number with a stock 114H.
Unless you hot rod it a bit with an Aluminum frame. I wouldn't go past this point.
We have been over this. 114H with Aluminum frame, Black pearl gears.

I like the 5 screw sideplate.  It's a clean look.  I many need to put together a tiburon frame 114H.

Rivverrat

Quote from: maxpowers on February 19, 2015, 06:53:20 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on February 17, 2015, 09:14:59 PM
Which one?

At 50 lbs of drag, I might be more worry about the hook pulling out.

That is the truth of it. Like I said before these fish don't fight long but they fight hard. I have had times they where running line off of my Ambassaduer 7000 & I cranked the drag down twice only to have them pull harder each time taking more line,with the spool rubbing hard on the frame.
Been spooled on the Missouri River a few times though I believe it was Blue Cats & not Flathead. Anyway 2 years ago I decided enough so I bought 3 Penn 25N's for my regular fishing & am now searching for a heavy reel for fishing in & around structure, log piles etc.
A reel capable of fishing  50 lbs. would be great. Though I think I would start out at 30-35 lbs. to see how that works first.... Thanks Jeff  

Rivverrat

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 19, 2015, 07:08:38 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on February 19, 2015, 06:38:07 AM
I don't know the strength of stainless steel gears.  I was referring to stock brass gears.  Sorry for the confusion.

Let you slide this time Bryan :D