MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: David Hall on May 24, 2016, 08:42:16 PM
Thanks Mike and Alan, I'll get that jack ordered up today.
Mike, what tooling did you use to mill out your bearing pocket?
Thanks for the pictures on bevelling the bridge, simple enough to do on my disc sander.

You can always order from SmoothDrag as well.

PacRat

David,
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this in front of so many talented machinists (Tom, please look the other way). Here's what I did:
(Sorry, there aren't any photos because I didn't want any evidence.) First I purchased a cheap 3/8" four-flute end mill (from China) on eBay. It cost $2 and some pocket-change delivered. I had a couple of carbide end-mills but they were only two-flute and I figured I needed four flutes to help keep everything centered because what I was contemplating was the act of a desperate, godless, butcher but I still had a little nagging faith that was telling me I could pull this off without destroying my one and only Magnum end plate.
I checked and double checked my drill-press table to make certain it was square, Then I secured the plate to a nice flat piece of hardwood on the drill-press table, brought the spindle down and centered the end-mill in the bearing pocket. I then brought the spindle all the way down until the end-mill just touched the bottom of the bearing pocket and set the max depth stop. Next I raised the spindle and loosened the clamp on the end-plate so that I could shim it up by approximately the amount of material that I wanted to remove. I think I used a piece of card stock for the shim. I brought the spindle back down and re-centered and re-clamped the end-plate with the card-stock shim between the end-plate and wood. I put a couple drops of oil on the end-mill, applied light feed with one arm and turned the spindle by hand with the other arm. The aluminum cut like butter and four little ribbons of aluminum spiraled out of the pocket.. It was almost too easy but man was I sweating!

I ended up shimming the bearing pocket a little but McMaster-Carr sells some really nice shims (Type 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.005" Thick, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD.) Using the shims I was able to dial in the spool until it's centered nearly perfect.

I'm much happier with the spool centered with no gap. I hope this helps.
-Mike

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

In recognition of Top Gun 30th Anni this week...."Gutsy move, Mav..."

David Hall

I was sweating just reading it.  those were all class A garage machinist moves that anyone would be proud of Mike.
I am truly impressed, at your approach and your courage! 

ez2cdave

Quote from: David Hall on May 25, 2016, 07:31:30 AM
I was sweating just reading it.  those were all class A garage machinist moves that anyone would be proud of Mike.
I am truly impressed, at your approach and your courage! 

What happened ?

I fainted as I was reading his post . . .  LOL !

Tight Lines !

Maxed Out

Quote from: David Hall on May 24, 2016, 03:33:11 AM
One more view of this little monster.  Your basic 50 dollar jigmaster with every upgrade hot rod mod known.
The accurate 4:1 gears are smooth even dry, the double dogs engage beautifully.  Alan hit a home run with this new bridge it is well worth the wait.  Matched up with his 10 tooth sleeve there is no better aftermarket drop in upgrade.

David,  A red clamp will make your reel complete.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Ted, I almost keyed "report to moderator"...that kind of pic is just not nice; makes people's left eye twitchy around here....

steelhead_killer

Just kicked the door open to the colored reel vault did ya?
><)))">

David Hall

What do you call a gathering of jigmaster magnums?

Maxed Out

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 16, 2016, 04:16:16 AM

You know me Andy,

It is so full it fell open....no need to kick

David, look close at that pic.

2 jig magnums, squidder magnum, 4/0 magnum, and plain old jig 99. ima 3/0 orphan  :D

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on June 16, 2016, 04:02:27 AM
Ted, I almost keyed "report to moderator"...that kind of pic is just not nice; makes people's left eye twitchy around here....

You should see my wife, she has permanent twitch in both eyes. Its all my fault. The right eye started twitching when I took over part of her China hutch  :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 16, 2016, 06:08:53 AM
Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 16, 2016, 04:16:16 AM

You know me Andy,

It is so full it fell open....no need to kick

David, look close at that pic.

2 jig magnums, squidder magnum, 4/0 magnum, and plain old jig 99. ima 3/0 orphan  :D

Ted, we can fill that gaping chasm in your Magnum collection in a heartbeat, just say the word.

Randy

Maxed Out

[quote/] Ted, we can fill that gaping chasm in your Magnum collection in a heartbeat, just say the word
Randy.[/quote]

here goes Randy..... "The word" .....there, I said it, now what you gonna do ?/ You gonna rub your Jeannie in a bottle and ask her for a 3/0 magnum ?? ;D ;D

You know where to find me if that happens  :D :D

Ted

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 16, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
[quote/] Ted, we can fill that gaping chasm in your Magnum collection in a heartbeat, just say the word
Randy.

here goes Randy..... "The word" .....there, I said it, now what you gonna do ?/ You gonna rub your Jeannie in a bottle and ask her for a 3/0 magnum ?? ;D ;D

You know where to find me if that happens  :D :D

Ted
[/quote]

Ted, the genie is a good friend of mine who has a gold 3/0 Magnum that he says is an 8+.  I think that it's probably a wide 3/0 but it might be standard width.  I do not know how much he wants, but he's usually pretty reasonable, and I am sure that he would be happy to send you some photos.  Is it OK to give him your email address?

On a separate subject, I am shipping your red Tiburon T4N narrow 4/0 frame today.  The tracking number is 9400111899563278007679.

Thanks,

Randy