MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 23, 2018, 12:22:54 AM

....or just grab a pro gear 541. It is a ball bearing jigmaster Magnum with 4/1 gears and one piece frame and all Penn 113h internals. Decent used one can easily be found for under $125.
I have five 541's, two 441's and a 454. All are getting fully updated with all the SS internals and killer drags from off this site. Plus I'm building the yts I got from you, Ted. This is fun!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Ron Jones

David,
I here you on the slow speed, I really like it for live bait presentations.
What about a fully built SurfMaster 250? Nice, slow speed; Bryan can get you all the drag you want and the gear sleeve, handles and frames are all available.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Weight-wise, a JM 500 Magnum I have may even beat an almost completely modded 113H(TN4 frame, C.C. Plates, etc.)by a couple a ounces. The most significant diffrences for me would line capacity(500 Magnum< 113H)and profile(the 113H has a higher profile and is a little more clumsy to handle).

I fished a 506 JM(5:1), side-by-side with a Squidder(3:1?)yesterday. Just reeling in my rigs surprised me at how much more effort it took to crank in the 506. Crankin in the 506 with a big trolling deep-diver was the same as reeling in a pan size Snapper on the Squidder.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I used a Surfmaster in Moro Bay, same conclusion. I like the slow speed. That's why I think a built 250, probably narrowed some, would be the business.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 23, 2018, 03:34:30 AM
David,
I here you on the slow speed, I really like it for live bait presentations.
What about a fully built SurfMaster 250? Nice, slow speed; Bryan can get you all the drag you want and the gear sleeve, handles and frames are all available.
Ron
Exactly, I don't know if there are any frame upgrades to fit that reel? but internally you can beef it up and make a very good serviceable reel that's comfortable to fish heavy bottom gear.

Ron Jones

Any frame that fits a Jigmaster will fit a Surfmaster 250. The thing to find is the spool, I believe the pinion is different than a 500.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

jigmaster501

pinion and the spools are interchangeable.