420ss and blue gill

Started by fsrmn, February 15, 2015, 09:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

Finally got a little time to fish after my chores were done Sunday afternoon. Got some cheese and a small hook and finally tried out the 420ss I got from a member here. Only had a little time to fish and caught 10 or more Blue Gill off the deck. Lots of fun on 4# test. Pics of the nicer ones.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

DaBigOno

Nice pheesh!

Looks like a nice day to fish
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Now those pics really bring back some good memories of my young days in GA. Thanks for posting.

Big Tim

I'm a fan  ;D Nice catch and time well spent.

Rivverrat

My son, Luke & I spend time fishing for blue gill. Some we eat others are placed on an 8/0 hoping something else will eat them.

I love the older little Penn spinners!

txangler81

Bryan Young

That's my favorite ultralight reel with 4# test.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fsrmn

We usually put a hair hook on an ultra-light, bait it with a piece of marshmallow, and let the kids catch a bunch of small ones which we use for Snook bait. We use Ivory bar soap pieces or hot dogs for catfish. Put the Ivory soap in the microwave for a minute to soften it up and then cut it into little squares. I thinK it's the lanolin that attracts them. Cheap hotdog pieces are the standby though.

Bryan Young

Quote from: fsrmn on February 16, 2015, 04:37:31 PM
We usually put a hair hook on an ultra-light, bait it with a piece of marshmallow, and let the kids catch a bunch of small ones which we use for Snook bait. We use Ivory bar soap pieces or hot dogs for catfish. Put the Ivory soap in the microwave for a minute to soften it up and then cut it into little squares. I thinK it's the lanolin that attracts them. Cheap hotdog pieces are the standby though.
You can catch bluegill with only marshmallows?  What is a hair hook?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Pesky rascals

fsrmn

We use about half or less of a mini marshmallow on a long shank #12 or smaller hook. The hook is really thin and long like a hair. The long shank makes them easy to remove. A bag of mini marshmallows is about the same price as a container of worms and more "kid friendly". ;D

Shark Hunter

I have eaten many a bluegill. You just have to pick through the bones.
I have said this before, But my last trip to the coast, I was carrying my 14/0 rig to my spot to kayak out some baits and a guy that was wade fishing asked me what I was fishing for. I said "Bluegills". :D
Life is Good!

HOLEINTHEWATER

Quote from: txangler81 on February 16, 2015, 03:47:51 AM
catfish bait lol

FLATHEAD BAIT. JUST GOT MY CERTIFICATION FROM ARIZONA G&F. I CAN TAG CAT FISH AND PUT THE DATA ON TAG SITE. http://www.fishtagger.com/index.php. RIGHT NOW WE CAN ONLY DO BARTLETT AND PLEASANT LAKES.