The big cods are here.

Started by trond_solem, February 25, 2015, 03:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Got this cod amongst others today. This one was 35lb before gutting.
A Penn Senator 113HLW with custom crank made it easy to haul in. A walk in the park.
I also got two 20lb cods and one 15lb cod at the same time. That's 55lb of cod on the line. Again, no problem.
Well built reels makes codfishing easy. Well, I do have a nice rod and harness so that I don't have to use all my strength to just hold the rod. :-)

DaBigOno

Nice Pheeshee trond!   Great eating too!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

foakes

Nice, Trond!

When some of you get a chance -- go to Trond's profile information and click on his photos of the Northern Lights -- Fabulous!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

trond_solem

Quote from: foakes on February 25, 2015, 04:08:45 PM
Nice, Trond!

When some of you get a chance -- go to Trond's profile information and click on his photos of the Northern Lights -- Fabulous!

Best,

Fred

A quick count of fish caught today says it is a bit over 160lb total. That's food for some days. :-)

BMITCH

Way to go Trond. Nice codfish!!
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

beautiful,  friggin beautiful.  cod fishing was my favorite fishing of all, loved it immensely.  my biggest was a 58 lb. and same day  my buddy caught a 45lb., both were caught off of my 22ft. aquasport out of fire island inlet in new york, it was great catching them from my own boat, usually it is very rough in the winter and we had to go on party boats out of captree or club members larger boats.  alot of people say they are like reeling in a boot full of water ,hogwash.  such a great tasting ,clean white meat fish.  congrats on your catch, enjoy.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

That's a nice cod...Yum...I hear the boiling of oil for some beer battered fish and chips.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Cod almighty, that's a nice fish! Lucky you... good eats!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

hultis

That's a really nice cod, Trond. A "skrei" I presume? Friends of mine were fishing for that kind of cod a couple of years ago and they said that the meat of that fish was something else. Sort of lobster-ish. Firm and very tasty. By they way, the surroundings look awesome, like a picture. Norway must be one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

Christian

trond_solem

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 25, 2015, 05:37:57 PM
That's a nice cod...Yum...I hear the boiling of oil for some beer battered fish and chips.

That sounds nice.

The cod caught today is going to be used to make "lutefisk". A very special nordic dish. This dish is traditional food in the holydays around christmas time.

First the cod is dried in fresh air for some months until it's bone dry. Then in the late autumn it is watered in fresh water for at least a week until it's rehydrated agan. Use a large tub. We pour out the water and refill with cold fresh water once a day. Cut the fish into fillets. Lave the skin on. Then we add 40g lye (caustic soda) per 10L water. That's about 0.56 or 0.5oz caustic soda per gallon water and let the redydrated fish soak in that for 3 days. Keep it cold. Just above frezing is perfect.
Now the fish is quite caustic and looks a bit like jelly.
Pour out the lye and fill up with cold fresh water. pour out the water and refill 3 times a day for 2 days, and then once a day for a week. It's important to keep the water cold.
Now the pH of the water is down to about 10.5 - 11. That's prefect.
Remove fish fillets from water and let the water drain off. Cut to portion size chunks. Freeze them if they aren't going to be used in a few days. Treat like fresh fish.

To make a meal: Place the tawed chunks skin side down in the oven pan. Salt them well. More than you would use on ordinary fish. Let the pan sit on the countertop for a few hours. Some water will form in the pan. Drain out most of it. Add black pepper, some more salt. Cover with aluminium foul. Bake in oven at 200c (400F) for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with fried bacon cubes, bacon fat from the pan or melted butter, sweet green pea stew and boiled potatos. Some, like me like some mustard in addition to this.

To drink you will need an aquavit dram and beer. Straight vodka can be substituted for the aquavit, but the caraway in the aquavit dram makes it taste even better.

This is a dish for grown ups. Children won't like this. :-)

trond_solem

Quote from: hultis on February 25, 2015, 06:27:37 PM
That's a really nice cod, Trond. A "skrei" I presume? Friends of mine were fishing for that kind of cod a couple of years ago and they said that the meat of that fish was something else. Sort of lobster-ish. Firm and very tasty. By they way, the surroundings look awesome, like a picture. Norway must be one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

Christian

It's possible that it is a "skrei". They live in the barents sea and come down to the coast of northern norway to mate in february - march - april.
It was full of roe. That will be used to make caviar.

The surroundings are just outside my front door. :-) I love it!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

trond_solem

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 25, 2015, 06:50:59 PM
Nice Cod Trond! ;D

Thanks.
There are thousands more of them down there and many of them are far heavier than this one.
When the wind calms down again, I am out to catch more of them.

Keta

Nice fish and it's nice to put a face on your posts.  Your front yard looks nice too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain