"Upgrading" from teflon/plastic to Carbon Fiber drag washers...

Started by tristan, February 16, 2015, 11:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

What would the differences be when upgrading a spinner's teflon/plastic drag washers with carbon fiber w/Cal's drag grease?

Would the pounds of drag be increased?   Would it be smoother or more reliable on a long run?

I'm asking because I have a Abu spinner of 6000 size that I'm quite fond of, but the drag leaves something to be desired.   The drag is smooth, but not quite as strong as I would like.   It currently has 2 teflon/plastic + 1 fiber washers, and 3 metal washers.

Thanks in advance for sharing the accumulated wisdom!

- Tristan

alantani

you will generally not get an increase in drag range, but the drag you will get will be smooth through all drag ranges. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Slazmo

I could add lower inertial start up and no jerky drags. Lower heat and better recovery after a tough fight and better service intervals than say felt or whatever felt composites most manufactures harp on about...

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tristan

Having no luck finding a acetal washer vendor, other than some large industrial supply firms.   Anyone know where to source small qty. orders for the acetal type washers?

The size or the Teflon drag is 18mm x 5.24mm x .95mm

Thanks for all your help.

Shark Hunter

Tristan,
I think your request has been misleading. if your original drag washers are Teflon or plastic, Then a carbon fiber upgrade will definitely give you more drag. I think the acetal washers are more for a top or bottom fit, not the meat and potatoes in the middle. You need to measure the thickness of the drag washers and then proceed from there. Either buying some carbon fiber sheet to cut your own or matching yours to a list from smooth drag or the other listings of drag washer sizing charts available here.
Life is Good!

tristan

Shark hunter,

Didn't mean to be misleading.   Going from memory (because the packaging is long gone) this spinner was touted as having "teflon" drag.   Now, the washers are not the color of my non-stick frying pan, but white.    Perhaps they are already acetal?   

Good to know the carbon fiber washers would increase the drag a bit, though others seem to think they may not.

The current washers are .95mm thick, and there's a bit of room in the drag stack, so I'll look for both acetal (that's the same as delrin, isn't it?) and carbon fiber and try them both out.

Thanks for all the info!

- Tristan

Shark Hunter

I just meant that your question was misunderstood.
Send the washers to me and I'll make you some carbon fiber ones. ;)
I don't see any comparable size from Dawn. I'll send you a pm.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!