259 long beach bait caster

Started by speedwagon2, February 27, 2015, 11:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

I have a long beach bait caster that I am planning to hot rod.  I have not taken it apart yet. Does this reel have bearings or bushings?  I believe jig master spools will fit this reel.  If this reel has bushings, which jig master spools will work?
  Thanks,  Dave Babcock(AKA Speedwagon2)

Bryan Young

Hi Dave,

The reel uses bushings, so you would use a Jigmaster 500 spool.

I have a 5 stack drag kit that fits in that reel perfectly to increase your drag range from 6-10 to 10-16 pounds, conservatively.

I narrowed my reels but have yet to use them...maybe this season for rock cod or halibut.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

speedwagon2

Bryan,
   Is there any real disadvantage to bushings?  I don't imagine one could convert to bearings. I know I fished with a lot of reels that had bushings when I was a kid.  My dad and grandfather had a lot of small conventional reels.  I would think a Newell replacement spool for a Jig Master would work in the 259.
   Thanks,  Dave Babcock

Bryan Young

I don't know about disadvantages,  but the advantages with bushing is no expensive bearing to replace, easier to maintain, and can get wet without worries.  If you are casting, you may loose a few yards but that's about it.  I love my 259.  It was my first ulua fishing reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

I need to scratch that off my list. I need a 259 to love on too! ;D
Life is Good!