Penn 525 Line out alarm quiet

Started by jaypeegee, October 09, 2014, 07:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have just bought a Penn 525 Mag extra.
It was advertised as being in "fair" condition for it's age.
When I received the reel I was pleased to note that it was much better than expected. No corrosion and the normal wear and tear for a reel that had obviously been fished hard for most of it's life.
The only bug bear was the clicker made no noise.

Google showed this reel was known to have a quiet clicker with various remedies, mainly filing the tongue to a point.

I pulled mine apart and cleaned off the oil and grease.
reassembled and had no improvement.
Disassembled again and looked at the tongue's interaction with the clicker.

As far as I could see the noise is created by the tongue snapping back against the brass pin and not the clicker cog attached to the spool.

I may be wrong here and would appreciate being corrected if so

I took a small flat file and removed the small burrs and deformities from the bottom of the tongue to allow the return to be smooth.
Then grabbed a small round dremel piece (Abrasive , Metal, OD approx. 2 mm) and gently re shaped the cavity that the pin snaps into. Note that I used the dremel piece by hand and not with the dremel tool.

Then , While reassembling I lost a spring. I spent a desultory few minutes looking for this and then realized my folly.
But being a creative solution based person I remembered that the spring that drives the flint in a BIC lighter was of similar diameter.

I took one and while it is marginally larger in diameter and wire size saw that it is small enough to insert into the base of the brass pin that returns and holds the tongue.
I cut two pieces to be longer than the remaining spring and tried. Too stiff.
So I gradually reduced them until they were marginally longer than the original.
I have covered them in a grease. (Gorilla snot as my father calls this brand) as I noted they were more attracted to magnets than the original (I assume this means a higher iron content in the metal and this more rust potential)

Now I have a loud line out alarm which is slightly less than my Akios and far quieter than my SL20sh but is louder than the Avet MX.

I don't know if the SQL alarm is louder than the 525. Looking at Scotts the parts are the same number but different prices. I will properly service this reel soon and will make an order for the missing bits plus any others I see in need of replacement then

Summary of my observations

Don't file the end of the tongue into a point.
Ensure the tongue cavities the pins sit against are clean and present a good surface for the pins to hit as the tongue returns.

I don't know if the spring replacement is worth including given it wasn't a deliberate choice, But worthwhile of consideration at least.

jaypeegee

Yeah. Ignore the above.
Back to quiet again, although I suspect that the age of the parts equates to fatigue and subsequent loosening as being the issue.
I will purchase the replacement parts off Scotts or ereplacement

First a couple of questions

SoCalAngler, in his 525 handle replace thread states "Yes it will fit a Squall. The Squall 15 is mostly a 525 with a new frame, sideplates amd mag controll." in reference to the handle I think.

What I want to know is if I chose to replace the clicker tongue and clicker part using the SQL15 parts instead of the 525 parts would this be likely to reap a benefit in terms of a louder lineout alarm?

Google shows far fewer people complaining of the SQL15 being quiet
The SQL parts are numbered differently
I assume this means the SQL alarm is louder than the 525 through the use of a later gen plastic  or sizing difference..

Second. Replacing the drag star with the drag star from the SQL including the drag clicker assembly. Possible? silly? This would be fun and slightly useful certainly not as necessary as the clicker volume.

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed

Fishit 2

President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

jaypeegee

Hi

I went with replacement parts. I replaced the tongue and the clicker mech that attaches to the spool.
Noise is louder now and acceptably so.

Also, I got the parts from Scotts. Big thanks for their fast and good service. Definitely recommended