SS Newell Sleeves

Started by Cortez_Conversions, February 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

I think now is as good a time as any to ask what the desire on these sleeves would be. I'm not going to ask for cash up front, nor hound anyone. I just need to know approx. how many of these will sell. This project along with a couple others is going to have me shelling out a pile of cash.
The sleeves are to be made from 416 stainless, and be heat treated to about 42c rockwell. I'm not sure if the finish will be shiny, off color, or darkened by the heat treating. They are a direct replacement for the stock gear sleeve on all the 600 series reels.
I'm on the fence about cutting the flats all the way down to the ratchet, maybe you all can decide that for me? Newell Nut can confirm, I think there is an extra tooth on the ratchet too. The ticket price is going to be around $35 each, depending on volume.
So let me know what you all think!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

speedwagon2

Tom,
    I want two of them in the 600 series.  As to cutting flat sections, I am going to leave that up to Dwight and some of the more experienced reel builders.  I have a SS crank from Alan Tani.  How about the 500 series?  I think there are more 500 series Newell's out there fishing then the 600 series.  If you go in that direction, I would buy three in the 500 series.
   Dave Babcock,(AKA Speedwagon2)

fIsHsTiiCkS

If you sell some for the 200-300 series I'm in.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM
I think now is as good a time as any to ask what the desire on these sleeves would be. I'm not going to ask for cash up front, nor hound anyone. I just need to know approx. how many of these will sell. This project along with a couple others is going to have me shelling out a pile of cash.
The sleeves are to be made from 416 stainless, and be heat treated to about 42c rockwell. I'm not sure if the finish will be shiny, off color, or darkened by the heat treating. They are a direct replacement for the stock gear sleeve on all the 600 series reels.
I'm on the fence about cutting the flats all the way down to the ratchet, maybe you all can decide that for me? Newell Nut can confirm, I think there is an extra tooth on the ratchet too. The ticket price is going to be around $35 each, depending on volume.
So let me know what you all think!
Tom
Since I have tested Sal's Delrin idea successfully with a multi stack thin disc drag system I like the smoothness and have power to spare on the drag, so cutting the flats down to the sprocket is not necessary in my opinion. I am good for 6 for the 600s and 6 for the 500 series. I have a sample of a 500 if you need it for a pattern. The length and location of the shoulder for the handle washer is the only difference on the 500 series.

Tunacious

Hi Tom:

At that price (or thereabouts), I'd take one 600 series and one 500 series.

Thanks.

Bryan Young

Hi Tom,

If we can make them for the 200/300/400 series, I may be in for a hundred to start with the flats extending all the way down to I could add a full undergear carbon fiber or Delrin (Acetel) washer...depending on price.  This will bring the Blackie and P-series drag system back.

For the 500 and 600 series, I'm not sure on the quantity.  I would like the flats to go all the way down as well so there is an option for a full undergear carbon fiber or Delrin (Acetel) washer.

One concern is that Newells produce two different types of dogs, and we may need to provide optional dogs with the gear sleeve to ensure that the new gear sleeve can be used on all reels.

Thanks.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Tom

If you make the 2,3 & 400 Series Newell Sleeve I would be in for a few

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

The older 2,3 and 400 sleeves had 8 teeth and the hole at the bottom was chamfered to fit the tapered piece at the bottom of the shaft. The newer ones did not have the chamfer but did have 10 teeth which helps take up slack. Making the new production to fit just means the bottom should be chamfered on the ID and use 10 teeth. I would take a few of those too.

bluefish69

Me Too       Me Too

What NN said

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 25, 2015, 03:28:36 AM
I think now is as good a time as any to ask what the desire on these sleeves would be.

nice!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks everyone for the input.
It look like an even split between the 600's and the 500's I didn't know I was making.
Dwight--If you can send me the 500 sleeve, I'll take a look at it. PM me if you need my address.
Bryan-- I'll have to put the smaller sleeves on the back burner for a bit, but keep shooting me PM's, we'll get it done.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 26, 2015, 01:38:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.
It look like an even split between the 600's and the 500's I didn't know I was making.
Dwight--If you can send me the 500 sleeve, I'll take a look at it. PM me if you need my address.
Bryan-- I'll have to put the smaller sleeves on the back burner for a bit, but keep shooting me PM's, we'll get it done.
Let's get together.  I have a suggestion.  Call me when you have a free evening.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

I just finished both the 600 and 500 series sleeves. I'll get them heat treated next week.
Thanks for the patience!

Newell Nut

Thanks for the heads up. Those other ones you made were perfectly designed and machined.

I am good for 6 for the 600s and 6 for the 500 series.

speedwagon2

Tom,
  I would like two in the 500 series, and 2 in the 600 series.
   Thanks,  Speedwagon2