Well that was a first

Started by JasonGotaProblem, April 27, 2024, 04:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funhog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonGotaProblem

I got a couple rod blanks on the super cheap. Including a 9' carbon tape/graphite composite that I love the action on. Well it was super grimy so I was cleaning it with alcohol to see how much was scratches and how much was grime. Well on a downward stroke I got this splinter embedded so far into my hand I could barely grab the back of it. Almost an inch.

I was doing some test bends it seemed fine. Does this mean the blank is trash?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Tried to imagine what that felt like and quickly gave-up. OUCH!!!!
Don't know enough about rods to say, but it don't sound good...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Do a close inspection with a magnifier to see if the splinter was part of the rod or something that got stuck to it.  If the blank is dammaged I would not use it.  It is odd to have a linier flaw, most are radial.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Carbon fiber splinters suck.  Hopefully you got all of it, cause it ain't gonna break down like a wood splinter.

-J

Swami805

First off OUCH!!!  If you were rubbing with alcohol hopefully it's just something stuck in the finish that loosened up. Magnifer is a good call to see if you can find a flaw. Before wrapping it bend it and see if it brakes
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

You said cheap, My guess is un sanded blank .   That splinter may be from the edge of the cut flag when it was rolled .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thrasher

Ouch! I've done that before on old fiberglass rods that were stripped incorrectly by myself but the size of that monster. If it was going to a personal rod I would take my chances and wrap it but I'm sure others will have differing opinions. Like I said above, I've gouged some serious chunks of fiberglass out of a rod and still have and fish them. I think a lot of people are overly cautious, probably with good reasons but I fish some rods guys would never think of using. Maybe I just don't catch big enough fish  :d

Bryan Young

I'm stuck at ouch!!!  Did you have another question?

I would inspect the blank as mentioned above. Do some stress flexing of the blank and see where that flaw may be located, under a guide perhaps?  That usually is when I decide to scrap that blank or use it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D