My Monofil

Started by Alto Mare, February 28, 2015, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Nice Monofil Sal 8)

Marc..

Porthos

No interest in swapping out the 13-155 with a 13-200?

Alto Mare

Not much to gain on this one, it will do just fine as is. If I can't find the correct pinion, I'll usually place in what I have, I do it all the times.
There is good and bad in everything, I personally believe that using a pinion without the ring will able it to slide in and out of the spool shaft much easier. Unfortunately, on some reels it's needed for reinforcement.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

The first few times I saw a grey monofil I didn't care for the color.  Since seeing two of them on this forum in the last few weeks, they are starting to grow on me.  I'm considering adding some colored monofils to my collection.  You guys are becoming a bad influence on me.  Nice reel, Sal 
viurem lliures o morirem

otghoyt

Barkeepers friend on brass, bronze and copper.  Just like new!  But in this case it's a cherry.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 01, 2015, 01:10:13 AM
...you would also need the 29L-100 spool.

Sal, just so I'm clear, is that a 29L-100 spool in your Grey Lady?  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sal, is that handle the 9 degree or 18 degree off set handle?

Keta

With a 5+1 drag stack the Monofil can easily be fished as a 30# reel, here's a photo of 13-1/2# of smooth drag, I could get more by forcing the star but do not see the need.  A 10-49 star is on my list for the next Scott's order.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 09, 2015, 02:24:50 PM
Sal, is that handle the 9 degree or 18 degree off set handle?
9 degree, to me 18 is to much. 

Quote from: Aiala on March 09, 2015, 01:28:15 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 01, 2015, 01:10:13 AM
...you would also need the 29L-100 spool.

Sal, just so I'm clear, is that a 29L-100 spool in your Grey Lady?  :)

~A~
Aiala, all these smaller reels when narrowed take the 29L-100.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I agree 18 degree is way to much! You must have a supplier because I haven't been able to find a 9 degree in a long time!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2015, 04:35:43 PM
With a 5+1 drag stack the Monofil can easily be fished as a 30# reel, here's a photo of 13-1/2# of smooth drag, I could get more by forcing the star but do not see the need.  A 10-49 star is on my list for the next Scott's order.

Do you think that this reel handle that much sustained drag?

Keta

No idea, I'm fishing mine as a 25# reel so a very smooth 8# of drag is all it will see.  The narrow frame and heavier 37-49 posts will help, it has steel gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 09, 2015, 09:13:57 PM
I agree 18 degree is way to much! You must have a supplier because I haven't been able to find a 9 degree in a long time!
I used to purchase those 5 for $100 with free shipping, but this was a while back, maybe 3 years. Just ask the sellers, you never know and it won't cost you anything for asking.
I only have a couple on my personal reels, I gave most away, I need to stop doing that. ;D
Here is one of the same,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-BAR-POWER-KNOB-FOR-PENN-DAIWA-SHIMANO-ACCURATE-AVET-REEL-HANDLE-SILVER-9-0d-/111609547589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc728b45

Tony is a great guy to deal with, but mine were purchased from another seller. Sorry, i don't remember the name,
I do remember they came from Florida.
I believe Alan's handles are also 9 degree.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 09, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 09, 2015, 09:13:57 PM
I used to purchase those 5 for $100 with free shipping, but this was a while back, maybe 3 years. Just ask the sellers, you never know and it won't cost you anything for asking.
I only have a couple on my personal reels, I gave most away, I need to stop doing that. ;D
Here is one of the same,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-BAR-POWER-KNOB-FOR-PENN-DAIWA-SHIMANO-ACCURATE-AVET-REEL-HANDLE-SILVER-9-0d-/111609547589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc728b45

Tony is a great guy to deal with, but mine were purchased from another seller. Sorry, i don't remember the name,
I do remember they came from Florida.
I believe Alan's handles are also 9 degree.

3 years ago makes sense, I have asked everyone and they have all switched over to 18 degree. That one you have there is a jumbo size one. A little to big for a jigmaster! I'll keep asking around. If not I know a place to get great handles, just A little pricey.

Alans handles are great. I'm just looking for a silver one. I'm just to picky haha ;D

Again, beautiful reel!

Alto Mare

Jason, i  picked one just to show you 9 degree, he also has the smaller sizes. the ones on my larger Senators are 4 1/4", from the 6/0 and down, they're 3 1/2".
You should have no problems finding those I always see them.

These are also 9 degree, they feel and look very nice
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/pescatore1/DSC_0032-1.jpg
Alan Chui mentioned that he might be offering those to us, but he wasn't 100% sure...I like them.