My Monofil

Started by Alto Mare, February 28, 2015, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 09, 2015, 09:15:04 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2015, 04:35:43 PM
With a 5+1 drag stack the Monofil can easily be fished as a 30# reel, here's a photo of 13-1/2# of smooth drag, I could get more by forcing the star but do not see the need.  A 10-49 star is on my list for the next Scott's order.

Do you think that this reel handle that much sustained drag?

I had a 13-155 pinion split in my 27 (3+1, SS gear sleeve, Tiburon frame, 24-56 handle) somewhere between 9 and 11 lbs drag after one season; had to dial it back down to 9lbs for the next couple of seasons.. Eventually found the reinforced 13-200 to be a perfect replacement. Fish the 27 all last season with no damage at 11lbs drag from top of spool. With about 1 lb drag coming from the rod and guides, total drag was about 12lbs--30% rule for 40lb test.

Keta: are your .020# metal washers a single custom set or are more available?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Porthos on March 10, 2015, 04:33:52 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 09, 2015, 09:15:04 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 09, 2015, 04:35:43 PM
With a 5+1 drag stack the Monofil can easily be fished as a 30# reel, here's a photo of 13-1/2# of smooth drag, I could get more by forcing the star but do not see the need.  A 10-49 star is on my list for the next Scott's order.

Do you think that this reel handle that much sustained drag?

I had a 13-155 pinion split in my 27 (3+1, SS gear sleeve, Tiburon frame, 24-56 handle) somewhere between 9 and 11 lbs drag after one season; had to dial it back down to 9lbs for the next couple of seasons.. Eventually found the reinforced 13-200 to be a perfect replacement. Fish the 27 all last season with no damage at 11lbs drag from top of spool. With about 1 lb drag coming from the rod and guides, total drag was about 12lbs--30% rule for 40lb test.

Keta: are your .020# metal washers a single custom set or are more available?
There are other things to take into consideration, as for instance, your line could have been caught on the side of the spool, that would usually do it, lifting the rod hard, bad drags and so on.
I'm not saying any of these things happened, I'm just saying that a few things could make it happen besides going over the numbers.
I personally believe this would be a good 10Lbs reel.
here is something I found here from Pompano Joe, the 209 has the same pinion as the one you've split:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12247.msg119546#msg119546

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I've caught Chinook salmon in the 30#-45# range with 10 and 209's reels with the same (209) or similar size drags and brass gears.  My "plan" for today is to dive into my gear pile and find a useable 13-200 pinion gear.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 10, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I've caught Chinook salmon in the 30#-45# range with 10 and 209's reels with the same (209) or similar size drags and brass gears.  My "plan" for today is to dive into my gear pile and find a useable 13-200 pinion gear.

Yes, the 13-200 would be a much better choice here, as porthos suggested. It does make sense, if it's out there and it fits, why not.
The reel should still be a 10 Lbs reel though.
The 100 would handle a little more, I like them both very much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I hijacked a 29L-100 spool from one of my 100's to make the 25 a "proper" width reel but will be fishing them both for the same application, 3#-30# rockfish and lingcod under 50' deep on a 15# or 20# rod set at 10# of drag.  I'm also thinking it will work for makanaw.  Once the drag gets over 14# it spikes above where I want to pull with the line I have on the reel.

It looks like Mo is going to get more of my $ soon.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Okay, so ever since I saw Sal's amazing grey Alto Mare Hybrid Monofil 25, I had to have one, too. SO...

1 green Monofil 26 from eBay + 1 P16 Tiburon frame from Chowderpuff + 1 29L-100 spool + 1 13-200 pinion as recommended by Porthos + upgraded Keta drag stack (thank you, Lee!) + a bit of tinkering, and PRESTO:

How sweet it is!  :D

I've gotta catch a tuna with this thing... woohoo!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

That right there is sweet... Prolly a plinth-er.

handi2

Super nice looking reel..!! Did you add some heat shrink tubing on the eccentric lever? I do that on reels to protect the frame.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

I also have plenty of the T-bar handles and will see if the size Sal is showing 9 degrees. They cost me $17.50.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Aiala, that is one sweet reel. The competition is now on ;D.
Love these little reels.
Sal

Aiala

Thanks, fellas!

Keith, that's actually some 3/16ths black vinyl tubing I bought from Terminal Tackle. (They sell it to make mackerel tubes.) I cut off a little piece with a razor blade, stretch it open with my needle nose pliers, then slip it onto the lever before it contracts back. Works like a charm! I do it on all my reels, not just the blinged ones.   :)

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2015, 12:49:32 AM
Aiala, that is one sweet reel. The competition is now on ;D.

Sal, there is NO competition... I am a mere disciple, you are THE MAESTRO. As the saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Thanks a million for the inspiration!   :D

~A~

PacRat

That reel is a classic! Very well done!

Alto Mare

A couple additional Monofil:

Enjoy....

Dominick

I for one am enjoying those photos.  You are the modern Wizard of Philadelphia.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.