Rare Catches are Worth Mentioning

Started by ChileRelleno, March 02, 2015, 03:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: harryk3616 on March 03, 2015, 05:38:41 PM
thought they were a protected specie
They are a protected species.
That doesn't mean you can some how magically keep a protected species off your hook.
Just means you can't target them specifically and/or keep or kill them. Effort must be made to safely return them to the water alive & healthy.
If they are injured/killed you must leave them in the water.
The majority of sharkers practice CPR, catch, picture & release. And many of us gather data & tag sharks for NOAA's Apex Predator Tagging Program, just as was done here.
This shark was released alive & healthy, with valuable data gathered.
This sharker is a poster child for responsible conservation.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

harryk3616

fantastic,  i know in new york you can't fish for great whites, didn't know if it was that way all over.  didn't mean any harm about the catch, it was just a question.  congrats on the safe release.

Shark Hunter

I have this picture on my wall in my office at work on the pegboard. The teeth on that little shark are unbelievable. I really think the Florida Gulf area is a Nursery, It is just not realized yet.
I would love to be the fourth guy to ever catch one with a rod and reel. It just amazes me.
Harry, That little Scalloped Hammerhead I caught last month is also a protected species. He is still protected. ;) I just borrowed him for a little while. ;D Beautiful Fish! It really made me Happy to see him swim off as strong and powerful as he came in.

Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

Quote from: coonhound on March 03, 2015, 05:51:03 PM
It was interesting watching a tracked Great White, Katharine, circle around an area I regularly fish last summer.  I'm sure they've always been out there, but it's different when you see how close to shore they roam and in the same areas I grew up fishing. 

Cape San Blas (not far from there) has always been a big shark producer and it's common to see big bulls and tigers come on shore.  When I was a bit younger, we'd spend a morning fishing the stump hole and then finish up by putting on bigger shark rigs with whole mullet or any whole trash fish we caught.  After being spooled a few times, we got spooked and stopped messing with them.   :o

Got a house on cape San Blas seen lots of big sharks caught from the beach, learned to water ski there you didn't want to fall. Never been much of a shark fisherman caught as by catch plenty of smaller sharks, don't like to eat them so I don't target them. I have invited Daren to come catch one I have a couple of houses on the Cape there.

Reel 224

That is one great catch  :o seams like the GW sharks are getting closer and closer to our shore line.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 23, 2015, 02:23:54 PM
That is one great catch  :o seams like the GW sharks are getting closer and closer to our shore line.

GW's are protected in Oregon but we seldom see them unless it's around sealion haul out rocks. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on March 03, 2015, 04:08:35 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 03, 2015, 06:36:19 AM
Quote from: Dominick on March 03, 2015, 05:40:22 AM
Wow!  I might take up sharking from the beach.  Dominick
Whenever you are ready Dominick! I live for it. Look at those eyes on that beast!
Hey Fred I don't know how I missed your kind words.  I resemble that.  ;D Dominick

A good Attorney would appreciate the eyes on that GW -- Cold, Black, Always calculating, Impartially Ruthless, Patiently awaiting the next opportunity -- but revealing nothing.

;D ;D ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.