Determining state of AR bearing

Started by Propster, February 22, 2015, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propster

I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, but how does one know or determine for sure that an AR (roller clutch) bearing is bad or should be replaced? I'm concerned with reels like ABU Revos, Calcuttas, Saltists etc used in fresh water. I'm in Minnesota with no way of really testing them in the winter which is when I work on them for friends. Unless they tell me specifically that they were slipping on them when ripping big baits or on hook sets the last time they used them, how can I tell? I always test the roller clutch tube to make sure it doesn't turn backward in the bearing, but that's not under any kind of load, so I've missed one or two here or there. Any advice is appreciated.

Keta

Hook the line to something solid and give it a heavy load.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Yea, the idea is that they can withstand the drag forces generated or not. Keta has the right idea: Crank up the drag and safely attach the line to something. If the drag slips but not the clutch then you should be fine unless it is a case of cold weather gumming up the lube in the clutch.

Unutt

Related to Shimano ARs, I never can tell.  Seems like they only give up when you get a fish on, and you lay into a hook set. 

The rest of the time, they work great.
So many reels, so little time.

UKChris

I too am interested in this because I have an Alutecnos 130 two-speed. I have a niggling worry that the AR bearing might fail when that monster blue or black marlin is busting out and that is no time to find you have no anti-reverse!

Has anyone ever added failsafe dogs?

Or are these reels so well made that my concerns are completely unfunded?

Cheers,

steelfish

Didnt most of the reels with AR bearings akways have dog brakes as second stopping method ?
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: UKChris on March 01, 2015, 04:30:48 PM
I too am interested in this because I have an Alutecnos 130 two-speed. I have a niggling worry that the AR bearing might fail when that monster blue or black marlin is busting out and that is no time to find you have no anti-reverse!

Has anyone ever added failsafe dogs?

Or are these reels so well made that my concerns are completely unfunded?

Cheers,

There is no such thing as a reel so well made that an AR clutch is supremely reliable. They all fail, sooner or later.

mike1010

Quote from: steelfish on March 01, 2015, 05:35:05 PM
Didnt most of the reels with AR bearings akways have dog brakes as second stopping method ?

I had an ambassadeur rcn-60 that had only an ARB, no dog.  Alan did a tutorial on those reels:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27.0.

My newer rcn-5600 has both an ARB and a dog.  Seems like a smart move by abu garcia.

Mike

UKChris

Thank you - though it is less than reassuring  :-[

alantani

most of the anti-reverse one way roller bearings will give you about 15 pounds of hold.  with use, wear or corrosion, those numbers can decrease greatly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Still wondering how that Alutecnos 130 antireverse bearing is capable of holding such higher numbers, guess it is just 'beafier'.  I'm sure it is still capable of failing though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.