Shimano Sienna 4000

Started by GeorgeN, April 05, 2017, 10:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeN

I have a friend of mine that gave me a Shimano Sienna 4000.  It is very clean and very smooth.  The anti reverse does not engage at all so the reel is in constant "back reel" mode.  Does anyone have a step by step take down, service, and reassemble sequence for these reels? Would love to get this reel back in complete working order.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks, George

philaroman

w/ any Shimano question ALWAYS give the specific model-year letters -- i.e. 4000 F, FA, FB, etc.
other Sienna's from different years may be significantly different, while other models (Sedona, Spirex, etc.) may be virtually identical w/ just a few extra bearings & someone may direct you to a tutorial for one of those, that would be much more helpful than a tutorial for the wrong Sienna

boon

I'm guessing you have checked the little switch under the body of the reel? Hate to ask but gotta check!!

Otherwise, I've seen a few of these little Shimano reels where the anti-reverse assembly gets all gunked up and stops working.
Remove spool, remove rotor, unscrew anti-reverse from body, clean it with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, re-lubricate with a light oil, test.

philaroman

easiest/most common A/R failure -- no tutorials or schematics needed (should've thought of this, before):
1. big steel bushing inside the roller bearing (that the rollers grip) reinstalled upside-down -- should be wide end up
2. lube inside the roller bearing -- should be clean & dry