Rounded handle Metaloid

Started by maxpowers, March 02, 2015, 05:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

I think I started to round out mt Okuma Metaloid handle when I caught a 23 lbs yellowtail today.  I haven't got a chance to take the handle off yet but when i was reeling the handle would skip forward, typical of what happened on Penn gear sleeves when they start to round.  I will post an update later when I have a chance to take the handle off.

Bobsled 55

Boy, you're just putting that thing to the test.  :o

How did the drag hold up?

maxpowers

I never did get the handle off.  I could not get the 2 tiny screws without stripping them so I left things alone.  As for the handle skipping thing I was not able to replicate it under load so I could not tell what it is.  my 5nii did th e same thing after I serviced it.  Not sure what it is though.  I may have to look at the pinion to see if there is some wearing going on there.  As for the drag, it functioned fine.  I got the yellowtail in about 3-4 minutes from hookup.

Bryan Young

I doubt it's the handle.  The handle is secured in a square post...it will take a lot to round the handle.  Skipping could be the pinion gear and pressure plate engagement if my memory serves me...may also be the drag system as the drag washer is floating on springs, my have different engagement between the top and bottom pressure plate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Bryan is correct. It will be nearly impossible to cause the handle to slip.
If you have a M5II ( 2 speed) the engagement cross pin (does the gear shifting) may be jumping. If this is the case the cross pin is not sliding fully into the gear slot ( usually from a bad spring or rounded key slots in the gear). This failure mode is very distinct as the reel feels like it just freespooled with very sharp harsh re engagement  ( a very harsh jumping that usually only happend under very heavy loads).
If you have the single speed then the issue was most likely temporary from water getting on the drag surface. The Metaloid as well as the new A Series Andros reels no longer have the water seal on the drag. If you reel a lot with the reel tilted to the right water will tend to run into the side plate ( my cousin does this a lot).

Jim N.

maxpowers

Quote from: JGB on March 10, 2015, 05:10:13 AM
Bryan is correct. It will be nearly impossible to cause the handle to slip.
If you have a M5II ( 2 speed) the engagement cross pin (does the gear shifting) may be jumping. If this is the case the cross pin is not sliding fully into the gear slot ( usually from a bad spring or rounded key slots in the gear). This failure mode is very distinct as the reel feels like it just freespooled with very sharp harsh re engagement  ( a very harsh jumping that usually only happend under very heavy loads).
If you have the single speed then the issue was most likely temporary from water getting on the drag surface. The Metaloid as well as the new A Series Andros reels no longer have the water seal on the drag. If you reel a lot with the reel tilted to the right water will tend to run into the side plate ( my cousin does this a lot).

Jim N.

This is exactly what happen.  it lfelt like it skip a notch forward or something.  very strange feeling.  So do you think I need to reinspect the pin or the gear.  It is happening in my new metaloid 5NII also.

Bryan Young

You will need to inspect both for a burr.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

There is a blurb (as stated by Mark of Charkbait) that some of the first series of the Metaloids have a problem with the gears and Charkbait discovered it.  They went to the Okuma and was told that Okuma also became aware of it and went back to the gear manufacturers to correct the problem.  I wonder if that is the gear skipping issue that I was experiencing.