how to file down a swollen side plate

Started by alantani, February 27, 2015, 04:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

when you see cracked rings on an old senator, it's not a failure of the metal but the plastic side plate that has expanded.  the rings just don't fit. you could file down the ring, but the results are much better when you file down the side plate. 

there are two ridges that the side plate has to drop down over.  the first is here. 

the second ridge is here. 

place the ring upside down on the side plate and see how well it fits. 

we're going to use the edge of the file to reduce the diameter.  this is a long process.  take you time. 

work around the entire diameter a half dozen times and then recheck the fit with the ring upside down. 

when you finally get the fit you need on the inside diameter, start on the outside. 

when starting on the outside diameter, you will need to avoid hitting the very center because it will be visible between the two rings. 

the process is the same.  make a half dozen laps around.

all the pressure is on the edge of the file.

ok, we have reduced both surfaces.

now it fits!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Beautiful job! I love seeing your tutorials and actually helps me on a reel I have had a problem with getting the ring to sit right on.

fsrmn

The file looks like a 12"  bastard cut. Would a 8" second cut work also or would it load up too fast?
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Lensters

Thanks for posting this.  That is how I envisioned doing it but two mech. engr. said that it would flat spot and a machinist friend thought that the bakelite, since it isn't very dense, it would want to feather and leave very rough edges.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

alantani

Quote from: fsrmn on February 27, 2015, 04:52:23 AM
The file looks like a 12"  bastard cut. Would a 8" second cut work also or would it load up too fast?

bring what you've got!   ;D

fsrmn

That's the problem, I have all kinds of files  ???  I never tried filing on Bakelite, but on hard plastic and soft metals I use a  8" to 10" second cut file and a file card to keep it from loading up. The finer teeth eliminate the problems Lensters friends pointed out.  But I guess since it will be covered by the rings, it wouldn't really matter   ;D
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Unutt

So many reels, so little time.

Tiddlerbasher

x2 if you have a lathe. Remove shaft cap nut and bolt through the hole and spin it up! You could also use a drill stand with a steady hand on the file/cutter ;)

alantani

Ron Jones

It is important to remember that the majority of 113H side plates you run into are not bakelite. They are various polymers that changed through the years. It is my experience that the ones that need trimming are not bakelite.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

otghoyt

I have a 114 and it had a lot of play aroung the gear sleeve and drag wheel spacer.  I bought a NOS plate for and it didn't fit.  I didn't know what to do so I bought a package of cardboard finger nail files.  Talk about a loooong process, but I was afraid of killing a new sideplate.  Especially when I didn't know what I was doing.  I always used fresh files to keep the edges square.  It finally worked but took over 2 hours and red dust all over the place.

"if I only had a braaaaain"  ???