Penn 285 - Hot Rod Candidate??

Started by sundancer, March 09, 2015, 12:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Check with Bryan, he should have the 113H kits, those are a little smaller, but will do just fine.
You know, I love these reels, especially the 970. There is a Jigmaster Magnum out there from Accurate... who needs it.
We have a reel, same size as a Squidder with some guts from a 4/0 & 6/0  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 12, 2015, 04:13:20 PMThere is a Jigmaster Magnum out there from Accurate... who needs it.

WE all need it...more power, stronger,...arg, arg, arg (trying my Tim the tool man taylor sounds).

I'm getting one that I put together back, and I'll do a comparison between the Accurate Magnum 99 and 501 or 99.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sundancer

Well to revive an slightly old Thread....

The Reel is spooled with 30# mono and feels real comfortable on an old 5 1/2' boat rod.  I put the 5th Bar on (measured by eye).  It is very slightly off.  I will never know if it helps though.  I have installed a larger Handle. 

I can max out Lee's 15# Scale.  Will be running it this way until I round off the Sleeve, then on goes a SS one.  I have cut and installed a leather thumb guard over the upper rear Bar.  I flip it up when I need to 'thumb' the Spool. 

It isn't a high maintenance beauty queen, just one (2 actually) that I am glad to have around..

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,