Quicksilver grease

Started by zerofish, March 09, 2015, 05:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Hi Slazmo. I tracked down your mentor and had a good yarn with him a while back. Anyone who has been servicing reels for that long is gonna be interesting to talk to. Keep meaning to get some of that 2-4-C and try it out on gears.

Some of my conclusions on Lubricants might be viewed as heresy here:
I find marine grease to be too thick for practical application on small baitcasters which are my mainstay. For a general purpose product, I use Corrosion X grease: as a compatible carrier for the CX fluid, it allows me to mix any consistency I want for various applications. Cost is over A$100 per kilo but naturally this is gonna last a while. It is available in the tiny pots though under the Reel-X label? There may be better lubricants out there but it is a very good anti-corrosive product.

I have questioned the wisdom of mixing CX fluid with TSI in the past. The purpose of the solvent in TSI is to remove trace lubricants to allow the product access to the metal substrate so it can bond to it. It occurs to me that mixing it with a lubricant would be counterproductive to this process. In the case of CX which also claims to bond to the metal, you have two lubricants fighting over the same territory. Who wins?

I hear you guys regarding QHS but my number one pet hate is the new Penn grease- the stuff that is sky blue in colour. I have seen the results in enough reels now to want to avoid it like the plague. My first encounter was a spinning reel where the spindle was locked solid inside the pinion. Others soon followed with similar results. It seems that when salt water hits it, it degrades into something resembling cement powder and it sets like concrete too, coating everything and becoming a royal pain to remove from gears etc. I cringe when I open a reel and see this stuff inside now.

Much of what I have learned came from this forum. Thanks for the great info guys and keep up the good work.

Slazmo

Within regards to the 2-4-C its all about using the right amount, the NLGI if that said grease is somewhere between 0 and 1. Its got good sheer stability and I find that its quiet good for its intended purpose. If you want smoother greases you need to keep in mind their ability to fling off and their durability over a service period? Food for thought.

That Penn grease akin to this? Found this in a recent rebuild and it was horrid!!!

exp2000

Looks like the one. It's the right colour.

Here's a couple of examples of powder coating:

The clean half of the maingear was treated with a Dremel wire brush.

LLCC

Quote from: Nuvole on March 10, 2015, 12:44:53 AM
I've been using Quicksilver Mercury 2-4-C before I get hold of Yamaha marine.
They are very tacky which if s good for sideplate. Issue I have with them is that it smell very strong.

Smells like a cockroach nest doesn't it?
Lawrence Lee