Shimano Sustain 2500FD

Started by DavidH, March 14, 2015, 10:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidH

For the bearings #7801 & #7810 on either side of the drive gear, would you use TSI321 or Corrosion X?

Pro Reel

I use a liberal amount of 321. Lets them spin easy but protects them from corrosion.

JGB

For salt water use:
I would use Yamalube grease blended with TSI 321 1 oz TSI to 12 Ounces of Yamalube. Makes it  slightly thinner and the the TSI may help with corrosion resistance. BTW once fully blended it seems to stay that way.. If you do not wish to pull the bearings then next best is CorrosionX with some TSI blended. My 'secret' blend is 12% TSI 321 or about 2 oz TSI to a 16 oz bottle of CorrosionX.
For fresh water Straight TSI 321 or the blend (the reel spins more freely).

Jim N.

DavidH

Thanks guys.  One more question.  I bought new bearings from Shimano.  Do I need to clean them out before using 301 or can I just put a drop or on them as is?

johndtuttle

Quote from: DavidH on March 15, 2015, 01:36:30 AM
Thanks guys.  One more question.  I bought new bearings from Shimano.  Do I need to clean them out before using 301 or can I just put a drop or on them as is?

You can put a drop on them as is. If there is any factory lube in them (doubtful) the TSI will just thin it. Only if you are seriously obsessed will you pull those shields (you have to destroy them to remove them pretty sure). Not worth it with a perfectly smooth reel to begin with in a Sustain.

If you were going to use the reel Kayaking or something equally harsh on reels then pulling the shields and then greasing them would be an awesome idea.

DavidH

Thanks John.  I do kayak but I wouldn't say I'm harsh on reels.  I added a drop to them anyway.  figured it couldn't hurt. 

Well I cleaned a sustain, stradic, curado e5 and an e7.  Installed carbontex washers on each.  They all seem like they work correctly.  Can't wait to try casting them.

Still have a curado 200DHSV, B5 and an ambassadeur torno 3006hsi and that will complete the light stuff.  then on to the heavier saltwater stuff. 

This website is extremely informative and addictive!