New & Used Reel Parts -- Scattered and Unorganized -- Problem Solved

Started by foakes, March 12, 2015, 10:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

There is a small room I use for reel repair upstairs in our house -- about 90% of my work is done in this shop.

Problem: too many parts scattered between 2 shops and three storage areas.  The parts I needed most often were either buried or hard to get access to.  And for me, it is easy to forget what I might have.

My 10' main bench was clogged up with a viewer, line winder, cleaning supplies, and parts.  Not enough room or organization to do my work efficiently.

A few days ago, Sal (Alto Mare) posted a project he completed using Husky plastic boxes for parts storage -- with easy access.  This got me to thinking about plastic boxes, using vertical instead of horizontal space, and what parts I really needed to access most of the time.

Solution:  Find all of my used and new parts that are used most often, organize them in plastic divided boxes for easy access, rearrange my bench to allow more vertical storage, allow opening of any drawer or bin easily -- without moving other stuff.

Here is what I came up with -- and so far, it works very well for me -- already saved a lot of time and frustration -- and I still have thousands of parts scattered in other places -- but as I uncover them -- they will have a systematic place to go.  For me, simple is good.

Of course, the sideplates, frames, spools, and other large parts are stored in another place -- but this is the basic small stuff that is used often, and sometimes time-consuming to locate.

Getting about 18 reels done for clients, finishing up the contest to see how many old Penns I can make out of old parts, and getting ready for the Sportsman Show here in Fresno at the end of the month.  Want to display and have for sale around 100 reels + other stuff.

And as Spring approaches -- reels are starting to roll in that need service and repair.

Best,

Fred

This was my old set-up.  Fairly efficient, but a little clunky and time consuming --

Here is the new set-up -- raised the wooden drawers so they can be accessed without moving trays of parts or reels -- added shelves between the top tools and the wood bins -- enough for 12 divided boxes of the most often used new and used parts.

Mitchell parts

D.A.M. Quick parts

More surface room for reels, cleaning supplies on vertical shelves

Cleaning supplies

Penn screws

Penn posts

Some Penn parts

New Penn parts in part numbered order

Penn clamps and attachment hardware

Basic Penn parts

Few new drags and UG washers

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Fred,

Thsnk you for sharing!  That workspace looks very fuctionsl and admirable.  That must be a huge undertaking to organize the large stock of new and used parts that you have.  Having quick access to the parts that you use often seems important, and organizing all of your parts by manufacturer, then part number also seems to make alot of sense.  I like the use of the verticle storage drawers, and clear plastic bins.  Are you planning on labeling the individual part numbers in the basic bins as well?  or maybe you already know the numbers.  It is nice to have parts numbers with the actual parts, and a seperate price list, when writing up invoices.  How do you manage to keep track of what your parts inventory is?  Trying to inventory all of those parts, is probably more trouble then its worth.  It seems like it would be easier to list what you are running low on, or don't have in stock.

Thanks for sharing!

Although it may not look it, following Sal's post, I too made some progress on organizing my modest parts inventory.  I made sure to seperate my new and used parts, and tried to keep parts seperate by type, with parts numbers on bags, when more then one type are combined.  As you can see, I am currently operating out of my living room, and have limited space.  As such, I can not afford to have a seperate container space for each individual part number.  I think I like the Dewalt Deep Pro Organizers I just bought.  They have seperate stackable bins, and the boxes themselves clamp together to make a single unit.  Still a work on progress though :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

That is amazing Fred.  I'm doing the same but on a much smaller scale.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

foakes

Yes, you are right, John --

Like you and many on this board, I know the most commonly used part numbers.

The new Penn parts are organized by both the key# and the specific part number.

The used Penn parts are just lumped together in key# categories.  Easy enough to match up an eccentric lever or set of springs when the reel is on your bench.

Gears are the one thing I have problems with.  It is easy enough to match a gear to a reel when the reel is apart on your bench.  It is difficult for me to send someone a main or pinion -- since there are no part numbers on most gears.  And I do not rely on the numbers on the bin -- since things could have gotten mixed up.  I have lots of gears as new and used -- but Alan and Bryan are the Gear Kings -- along with a few other experts on this board.

On inventory -- I just check every 3 or 4 weeks -- then place a laundry list order with Southwestern or Scott's to replenish what has been used or I am running low on.

On invoicing, I used to make up a detailed computer invoice -- and after finding out that no one really cared if I spent 30 minutes on an invoice, or got the next reel done -- I stopped that waste of time.  I think I was impressing myself -- no one else.

Now I just use a 3 part "Rapid Letter" -- with a quick handwritten explanation of work performed and parts replaced with either new or used.  My clients know that I do not generally charge over 50% of list on used parts -- and in many cases it is free.  And on new parts -- I just charge my wholesale cost with no additional markup.  So everyone is happy -- and my time is spent more efficiently, I believe.

My current philosophy is:  

Keep your system simple.  I strive to have a system that works for me -- I cannot afford work for the system.

Sounds corny, I know -- however, efficiency allows me more time, less hassle, more economical inventory management, and more time to do other things.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Awesome Fred!!! Shure wish my bench looked like that. I try and try but it never seems to come out that way. My excuse is too much stuff, too little room. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
...............Lou

coastal_dan

Wow...that is A LOT of parts!  Thanks for sharing.  Fun to see where the masters spend much of their time  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on March 13, 2015, 04:36:15 PM

"On invoicing, I used to make up a detailed computer invoice -- and after finding out that no one really cared if I spent 30 minutes on an invoice, or got the next reel done -- I stopped that waste of time.  I think I was impressing myself -- no one else."

Now I just use a 3 part "Rapid Letter" -- with a quick handwritten explanation of work performed and parts replaced with either new or used."

My current philosophy is

"Keep your system simple"

Words of wisdom.

Thank you for expounding.  

Currently I sm doing a pretty good job of impressing myself with long-winded invoices (complete part numbers/names/prices/tax/total).  I do like to put the reel's serial number, customer's buisness info, and specisl notes on the invoices, so I always have a hard copy of work performed (by customer, reel, and date) that I can refer back to if need be.  Seems like its always late at night or right before I was supposed to meet someone, that I have to sit down and write up invoices.  This chore always seems a bit more tedious and time consuming then it need be.  Just want to be fair, equitable, and provide the customer, and myself with a written record of exactly what was done, when.  Cutrently my spreadsheet I started to track customers is only about 1/2 complete, and my parts inventory, and needs list is often a series of handwritten notes on scrap.paper and the like.  I like the idea of personalized buisness database, or even an up-to-date spreadsheet with electronic records of all trasactions/inventory/customer contact info, etc..., but truthfully I never have enough hours in the day to stay caught up on the backlog of reels to be serviced, and the time needed to do something like this is time that could be spent working on reels.  There is always a balancing act between steamlining the process, and maintaining organization.  I like to do things in steps, and have everything in their place, but I hate falling behind, or failing to meet customer's expectations.  I have come to realize that I should er on the high side when providing estimates (both time and money), and try not to kill myself to get work done...since as you say...I am really only impressing myself.  I kinda touched on this topuc when I had breakfast with Alan, and Brian a few weeks back.  He thought I was a bit crazy to try to provide 3 day service turnaround times, when it should be 2-3weeks.  When you set unrealistic expectations for yourself and customers, you will get unrealistic results.  Gotta remember...

"Keep it simple stupid"

Thanks for sharing!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

harryk3616

reel  nice   fred,  it is great when pictures are posted like yours and sals,   it gives us all wonderful ideas on how to keep our parts in order and free up our work bench to make our reel working pleasant and efficient, thanks from all us members.   harryk

Bryan Young

Alan's main bench area uses these Plano Guide Drawer Boxes.  There were fairly reasonable, so I got 4 of these.  They have small storage in the drawers and a fairly large bin on top.

One for commonly used items, bearing, drag washers, and washers, shims and screws.

The others will be Penn, Shimano, Accurate, Avet, Newell, and specialty, such as Pro Challenger, SmoothDrag, Newell, and Accurate parts.

And they are portable.  I should get another tackle box for tools only...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

gstours

You are and should be proud of what you have done to not only get and be organized, but to show the details of what you have done!   I am inspired at lest to try harder to organize my stuff......My wife just says I have too much stuff!   Because of the clutter I suppose.   Thanks for the post!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on March 13, 2015, 02:24:23 AM
to heck with Disneyworld, I'm going to Fred's!!!!!!
I Love it! ;D
I am embarrassed to show you what I do. I have a Big Fishing Box with drawers that is full. I am resorting to coffee cans and boxes.
I am going to get some of those Sal Boxes and get at least a little organized.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 12, 2015, 11:14:14 PM
Fred,

Thsnk you for sharing!  That workspace looks very fuctionsl and admirable.  That must be a huge undertaking to organize the large stock of new and used parts that you have.  Having quick access to the parts that you use often seems important, and organizing all of your parts by manufacturer, then part number also seems to make alot of sense.  I like the use of the verticle storage drawers, and clear plastic bins.  Are you planning on labeling the individual part numbers in the basic bins as well?  or maybe you already know the numbers.  It is nice to have parts numbers with the actual parts, and a seperate price list, when writing up invoices.  How do you manage to keep track of what your parts inventory is?  Trying to inventory all of those parts, is probably more trouble then its worth.  It seems like it would be easier to list what you are running low on, or don't have in stock.

Thanks for sharing!

Although it may not look it, following Sal's post, I too made some progress on organizing my modest parts inventory.  I made sure to seperate my new and used parts, and tried to keep parts seperate by type, with parts numbers on bags, when more then one type are combined.  As you can see, I am currently operating out of my living room, and have limited space.  As such, I can not afford to have a seperate container space for each individual part number.  I think I like the Dewalt Deep Pro Organizers I just bought.  They have seperate stackable bins, and the boxes themselves clamp together to make a single unit.  Still a work on progress though :)
You're doing good John, I also have the Dewalt in my truck for my screws, too bad my helper mixes everything up ::).

Those are just as good as the Husky's, the Husky are a little better to stack if you decide to do something similar to mine.
No matter how hard we try, we will never do as good as Fred ;D.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fsrmn

Don't be embarrassed Daron. I use the pile instead of file method. I'm a bit ADD (maybe a little more than a bit ::) ) so I usually am working on several projects at once, from reels, pellet guns and fishfinders to a 1957 diesel tractor. My workshop is a 1972 32' motorhome and this is looking in the front door  ;D The back wall is full of bins but not well organized. To me this IS organized. I know where everything is... mostly  ???

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.