US 113 New Model

Started by Newell Nut, March 14, 2015, 09:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I am finishing a new rod build for a friend and he asked me to meet him at the tackle shop to pick out a reel for it. We settled on the new 113 with the aluminum frame. He wanted something a little sexier than the old ones and I steered him away from two speeds. Two speeds lose more fish and than any reel I have ever seen. Reef fishing is no place for a two speed reel for the average guy at least.

I offered to do a pre fish service for him and mount the reel before our next fishing trip. Was looking forward to opening it up and was not impressed. It is half way between a Newell and old Penn. The dogs are now on the bridge plate with dinky little springs. The CFs were all dry but have Cals on them now. The diagram in the box showed different stacking options for different drag ranges. That was worthless because some of the keyed washers were missing and none in the box so no change could be made. There are actually two CFS sitting together with no keyed washer between them.
I like the aluminum frame but was very disappointed to find that the body screws on both sides of the reel were greaseless. We all know what happens to SS screws in aluminum frames. Is the secret plan to let the owner snap the screws next year and send the reel in for an expensive service? Where are the ethics these days.
The clicker pawl was dry and so was the sprocket on the end of the spool.

I corrected all the flaws that I pointed out in regards to the lube.

I will not recommend another one to a friend.

Alto Mare

I haven't opened one of those newer reels yet, but i take your comment seriously... you know what to look for in reels.
I do want to mention though that finding carbon fiber washers on top of each other is normal, but as you've stated above, the metal keyed washers should have been included, in case you want to change the drag configuration.
Here is a pic of the Versa-Drag system:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I just did an older Baja for my buddy and was pretty impressed. I liked the dogs and the drags were set up for max drag. This was a used reel so I can't say if the original package had the extra washers or not. The only things I wasn't " keen" on was the way the gear sleeve shaft was peened into the bridge plate. Maybe my problem with that is I'm old school penn. And the bearing "in" the spool. It's very small?? I dunno doesn't seem robust enough. Other than that this is a pretty nice reel. Sorry to hear the new ones are not complete? Maybe a lone incident?
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

This reel would not stand a chance going head to head with Sal's old school 113 tank. The spare parts bag did not have any keyed washers in it so the versa drag diagram was worthless. Those dry screws really got my attention more than anything. Assembled to fail.

BMITCH

I agree Dwight. Now just think of when Alan C comes out with the second gen gear set for the 113H. Essentially a Baja on steroids. Awesome!!
luck is the residue of design.

steelfish

in your opinion is a stepback from the old Baja special or are the same?

The Baja Guy

handi2

I have been thru them and they are the same as the Baja Special.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL