Penn Senator 1/0 Question

Started by Wayne B., June 03, 2015, 08:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

I am trying to resurrect a 40's 1/0. I have it working like new with one exception. The star drag loosens as I turn the handle. The spacer is under the star drag as it should be. What's my problem? (other than limited knowledge!)

foakes

Hi Wayne --

The star should turn with the handle -- if all is well.

The perception you have that the star is loosening is correct -- but it is becoming loose because it is not turning with the handle.  

Make sure the proper tension washer (key#8) is in the drag stack, and a good one -- then break down the stack, and go through it to make sure everything is in order.

Verify it with a schematic --

Likely there is an ordering issue with the drag stack.

Let us know how you make out -- or I could be off base, if something else.  This is the most common solution.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

It's possible that the eared washer slipped up the sleeve as you were installing the bridge into the side plate & now the eared washer is sitting on top of the main gear. Just a possibility.   RUDY

Wayne B.

I'll take the bridge apart tomorrow and see what is going on.

Thanks for the input.

Wayne

Wayne B.

The drag stack was installed incorrectly. The tabbed metal washer was on top, not in the middle. I went ahead and put a new set of H-100's and it works great now. Thanks for the help!

foakes

Glad you got it working, Wayne -- we have all learned the same way.

Those are great little reels -- strong and historical.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: Wayne B. on June 04, 2015, 02:22:24 PM
The drag stack was installed incorrectly. The tabbed metal washer was on top, not in the middle. I went ahead and put a new set of H-100's and it works great now. Thanks for the help!

classic!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!