Penn 80 Travesty

Started by thorhammer, February 09, 2016, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I picked up this old warhorse for a fair price a bit ago; going to get on it and put this one in service as a wahoo meat reel for high speed trolling  / planer rig. It deserves much better than it got;I've got it broken down and already looking better than this pic. John (Tightlines 666) is helping me figure out out best belleville placement for the intended application.

I don't understand why someone would spend hundreds of bucks on a piece of fine equipment and do this to it...

Oh, and please, please, please don't dremel your name into both sides of an International...

thorhammer

Debating on upgrading stand and clamp from Cal's but not sure I want to go in another buck and quarter.

foakes

John,

If it were me, I would hold off on the clamp and stand for now -- see where you are at.

Check under the hood, first...

Rebuild and restore the reel, if it makes sense to do so -- new drag, etc

Then, if after getting it operational to your satisfaction -- look for a used stand and clamp on our site or ebay.  Or, if you did not end up spending too much -- go ahead and get the stand and clamp.

The problem becomes -- as we get into these Internationals -- that a seemingly insignificant interior part/parts may need replacing -- and that could cost $100 - $300.  Best to do the reel first before any exterior upgrades.

My rule of thumb on these, is -- whatever we spend for the reel, we could spend that much or more again, just on bringing it back to whole -- just for parts.

So, a guy could  have $600 - $700 into a $300 reel -- so you need to diagram your plan for completion on these.  That is what I advise clients when they bring me a thrashed International or Tiagra.

Just my opinions.

Looking forward to seeing your results on this one.

As you know, John over in the Islands is your strongest resource on these -- along with others like Chad & Keith.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred, agree completely...I'm in $240 as of now, and I'm good with that for an 80-class meat reel. Drags, clamp, and stand gets it to four bills....I could've just bought a really nice 80 TW for that. I'm not after marlin or bluefin, so although high speed trolling puts some stress on it, I think it will be fine as is. I previously used Everol Super 50's on Star 50 lb rods just fine, so these set-ups should fill the bill (the other is an 80T).

John

David Hall

I have a couple of really nice 750.00 internationals i could easily sell for 250.00 each!
Buy hi sell lo

johndtuttle

Yea, those poor old war horses get miles of line left on them for years and get left on boats in the harbor far too long.  >:(