Retaining ring trouble

Started by cubanaso, March 16, 2015, 03:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubanaso

I am having issues with the retaing ring that keeps the pinion bearing in place on my fathom 25n star. Has anyone had any issues removing this pin?  I serviced two of these reels and was not able to pull either one. 

Any ideas or tools which would be right for the job?

Thanks

Andrew

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cubanaso

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/fthsd25n.pdf

26r

It's the star drag model

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Quote from: cubanaso on March 16, 2015, 08:11:00 PM
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/fthsd25n.pdf

26r

It's the star drag model
I used a little pick or a small jewelers screwdriver.  Make sure you put your finger over it or take it out in a plastic bag, because those thing fly like they have built in wings...  I got lucky a few times...even with my finger covering it, it would fly in the only open gap there was.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Or a straight eyeglass screwdriver.  Bryan's right, the clip will fly to spring Never-Never Land never to be seen again.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cubanaso

Awesome thanks!  I'm gonna need to invest in some micro tools for these sorts of things.  I was messing with that thing for a solid 20-30 minutes.

Keta

I had close to 12 hours trying to take apart the 2 speed of a "odd" Penn International 70.

Mark Twain