Diawa Tanacom 1000 Maintenance

Started by xaf, March 17, 2015, 02:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

Does anyone have experience with maintenance of the Diawa Tanacom 1000 electric reel?  The Operating Instructions provide a schematic and parts list but only very basic maintenance guidelines. Wipe down after use, do not submerge reel in water, etc.  General questions, should these reels be broken down and maintained (cleaned/lubricated) like a regular reel?  What drag washers does it contain?  Can I assume that at some point the drag washers will need to be changed out?  Any input would be appreciated.

Bryan Young

I have absolutely no clue.  I have an older electric reel that I'm still trying to fix...parts are very hard to come by...but I cannot give up yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

track down jim nomura.  i know he's had these open before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rothmar2

These Tanacoms have fibre washers as drag washers. There will be very minimal greasing from the factory on any of the surfaces or screws. Some grease will be on the network of cogs on the left end of the reel.
These electrics are a tricky deal to open up and maintain. If you've worked on reels before, they are a step up in complexity to open up, but not impossible for someone who has confidence in their servicing skills.
I recently did a full service on one. I binned the fibre washers and cut carbons, big improvement there straight up, and will be the one of the last things ever likely to fail. Best advice I can give if you decide to take it on, give yourself plenty of space to open the reel on, as parts are loosened and removed, place them immediately adjacent to assembled position around the central frame. Be very careful of the wires for the drive system, do not force any of the parts with wires coming out, you really do not want to break any. There should be just enough wire to remove electrical parts from the frame. Be careful not to pinch wires on re-assembling.
  The biggest weakness on these reels is the level-wind guide, it's plastic, and not up to the task of pushing the line across the spool with a heavy load on the line. If you are certain you are hauling up a few fish and the load is high, it's a good idea to glove up, and try and follow the level guide with you hand to take the side load off the level guide. They fatigue easily and crack, then the worm guide will not follow correctly. These should be metal IMO. If you are skilled enough, you could make one, but should come fitted standard. The Banax Kaigens are particularly prone to this failure as well.

I regret not doing a pictorial the last time I serviced one, I didn't think there would be much interest.
Good luck!

otownjoe

I had to open my tb1000 up after I overheated it.I changed out the drag washers for carbon fiber and  replaced the brass bushing with a  bearing .i also replaced the  existing bearings. I could not find a tutorial or much help online other than a schematic. I would describe the rebuild as annoying more than difficult. Putting it back together was tedious because of the springs but the design is basic.this is what I ordered from Dawn. I did not use the TSI on this reel

xaf

Thanks guys for the replies. Joe I forgot that you were going to tear your's down. From your response are you saying that Dawn has the carbonex that fit the 1000?  Doesn't sound too daunting. Guess I'll at least swap out drag washers sometime between a couple trips this summer.

handi2

I've been thru 6 of them in the last 2 years. The reel side is typical Daiwa components with a fiber drag washer.

The things to be careful with is the initial take apart. There is one small "O" ring on the main shaft and a large one that covers the main gear and it's components. The small O ring will tear easily. The top right side that comes off also holds 1/2 of the anti-reverse pin so when installing it has to line up perfectly. It's tedious but not too hard to do. I had to do a full tear down on one to replace the level wind gear and its parts and I never want to do that again..!!

The power button has to come off so you have to remove the silver button to find the retainer. It too can be tricky to reinstall.

If you take the entire reel apart it's like a kids plastic puzzle. One plastic part holds another and so on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

I've got one but am afraid to do the maintenance on it. Fortunately for me, Daiwa's service center for electric reels is right in Miami so I can just take it there.

otownjoe

xaf

Thanks again for the info.  I wondered about the levelwind and how reliable it will be, especially with some of the loads put on it.  How available are parts such as the "o" ring from the service centers?

otownjoe

I think the most important thing with the levelwind is to keep the line in sync with it .it warns about this in the manual.too much side pressure is what causes it to fail.

xaf

Does anyone know the dimensions of the drag washers for the Tanacom 1000 or have an old set of the drag washers that they can measure?  Smooth Drag said they no longer had the dimensions of the washers for some reason.  I'm trying to avoid tearing mine down just to measure the drags and then have it laying around in pieces while I wait to get the drag washers.

Thanks.

conchydong

XAF. My micrometer/calipers had a dead battery so I had to read the scale manually, but it looks like the outer diameter is 21mm, inner diameter is 10mm and the thickness is 0.75mm. There is a total of 5 washers. I recently stripped  some gears and took my 1000 in to the factory center in Miami.
They charge $55.00 for service plus parts and shipping if required.

I didn't feel comfortable messing with my reel, so I left it up to the people that service these everyday.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvbf6JBXzXsAK_APxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1469143392/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2ffishingreelservices.com%2f/RK=0/RS=UAWit.0WZIFNYgQQpnNMt7xIVtQ-

Dawn

XAF, I must have mis-led you.  I do have them.

Dawn
Dawn

xaf

I got back with Dawn and we found the Carbontex drag washers needed for the Daiwa Tanacom 1000.

Small -  1 (Under main Gear) = Smooth Drag Carbontex # 10 -  O.D. = 20.5 mm,  I.D. = 08.1 mm, Thickness = 0.5 mm

Large -  5 (actual drag washers) = Smooth Drag Carbontex # 15 – O.D. = 21.6 mm, I.d. = 10.6 mm, Thickness = 0.76

I also posted this info in the "Drag Washer by Reel" thread under "General Maintenance."