Jigging World Tile/Tuna Rod

Started by coastal_dan, March 20, 2015, 01:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

What lb test you have on that jigmaster Dan.

coastal_dan

30 lb mono on their currently, I'll be purchasing another spool and filling it with 500 yds of 50 lb braid though in the next week or so.  The thought is to use it deep water bottom bouncing and at 150-600 ft the mono isn't the best choice, in my opinion.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Dan

Check with the boat you plan to fish on because some boats don't allow Braided Line. I would get an extra spool just in case.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 03, 2015, 11:37:05 PM
Dan

Check with the boat you plan to fish on because some boats don't allow Braided Line. I would get an extra spool just in case.

Mike

I'm so glad California isn't like that. I only have braid!

coastal_dan

Mike - I had heard the same thing.  I just bought another spool so the plan is to carry both.  Thanks!
Dan from Philadelphia...

day0ne

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 02, 2015, 02:53:35 PM
Alright...lots of photos...sorry, I like lots of pictures when buying something so hopefully this helps someone else.  Don't judge me about the clutter in my garage...time for a spring cleaning  ::)

With 14 oz of weight on

With 24 oz of weight on

With a jug of water on (Estimated 5 1/2 lbs or so)

Pretty excited about using it seems like a nice stick for the money.

I bought the same rod. Have you noticed that the specs on the web page don't match the specs on the rod? I've been meaning to ask JW about that.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

coastal_dan

Yes, the rod is shown differently on the website.  But I did some tests with different weights and it is quite a sturdy stik.  It would have no issue dropping down 2 lbs of weight...not sure I would be comfortable dropping down there advertised 5 lbs but maybe some would.  I'll be using it for 8 oz - 24 oz of lead majority of the time so hopefully I can add to this over the next few months on how its holding up.
Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

Dan

What do you plan on using 24oz. Sinkers for? We use 12-24oz. for off shore Wreck fishing - Cod, Pollack & Sea Bass in the Fall - Winter. You can also use Gold or Silver Hammered Jigs 8oz & up.

If your planning on Tuna the West Coast Jigs work at times & so does the Gold & Silver Hammered Jigs Some are called Tuna Candy. For bait you need Egg Sinkers 6oz. & 12oz. You let out the desired amount of line & then let the Egg Sinker slide down the line. Then you need a Custom Rod Holder. This goes into the boats rod holder & ties to the rail of the boat. Everyone that I know uses Steel Pipe for this. You get a 3' pc. of 1" Black Pipe with a thread on 1 end & Weld a piece of 1 1/2" pipe at a 30* angle to the 1" pipe. Get an extra piece of 1" Black Pipe with a thread on 1 end with a Coupling just in case the boat rod holder is low on the Gunnel. This is enough info to keep you busy for a while,

Mike

coastal_dan

Mike - Thanks for the info!  Yes, my plan is to use it bottom fishing...mostly offshore Sea Bass.  On the rare occasion I try to hook up with sharks on my kayak this will also be used  ;D.  I would like to do a Cod trip next year around this time, I've been watching the fishing reports of the Ocean Explorer lately and it looks hit or miss but the fish are beautiful.
Dan from Philadelphia...

bluefish69

Dan

You have to check the Voyager from Pt. Pleasant NJ. Last weeks trip had many Cod over 20#. He does Cod, Tile & Tuna almost all year. The boat has heated hand rails for the cold weather season.

Mike

Reel 224

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 08, 2015, 03:21:17 PM
Dan

You have to check the Voyager from Pt. Pleasant NJ. Last weeks trip had many Cod over 20#. He does Cod, Tile & Tuna almost all year. The boat has heated hand rails for the cold weather season.

Mike

Are you guys that close to PT? I'm about 15 minutes from there.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bluefish69

I'm on the Brooklyn - Queens Line. I worked in Sheepshead Bay for 6 Yrs.

Mike

Reel 224

Well Mike I have family from Brooklyn..Bensonhurst, Queens 108th Street, Long Island..Smith Town, Brentwood, Sound Beach. Manhattan West Village and Little Italy.Me Ive been here in NJ all my life so far that's 69 years this month. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 08, 2015, 06:12:17 PM
Well Mike I have family from Brooklyn..Bensonhurst, Queens 108th Street, Long Island..Smith Town, Brentwood, Sound Beach. Manhattan West Village and Little Italy.Me Ive been here in NJ all my life so far that's 69 years this month. 
I'm sorry... ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Philadelphia for me, lots of friends fish NJ, this will be my first year.  I grew up at Delaware Beaches and worked at tackle shops/on fishing boats through college.  Looking forward to some full coolers this year  ;D

Sal - HAHA!
Dan from Philadelphia...