Just picked up a like-new 500...

Started by pyros46290, March 25, 2015, 03:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2015, 03:50:41 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 25, 2015, 06:05:45 PM
I think Keta has scales at a very good price that would fit your needs...no where did that posting go?

They are 8# and 15#.  I still have a few of the 15# and a lot of the 8#.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4011.0

Hi Keta,
I would like one of the 15lb scales if you still have them.

Thanks!
Russ

Keta

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 26, 2015, 03:43:24 AM
i just ordered up the double dog bridge and stainless yoke + jack plate. i was about to order the stainless gear sleeve from scotts b&t and read the blurb about machining issues with the fine thread, and came across a couple oddities with the 2 reels i have.

So i have two jigmasters here side by side, one older and one newer. The old one was given to me years ago by a customer for fixing his car, so I dont know the history of it or who had it and did what before i started to tinker with it a couple years ago. The new one i just picked up the other day, only used once, practically new. Old 500 is going to go to a buddy, so i wanted to give it a good service before i give it to him. I took it apart, and was going to salvage the stainless gear sleeve to install in my new 500 and found a few things...

#1 - the old 500 with coarse thread has a 10-60 drag star. What is this thing doing with a 10-60??? I mean, it works, but the arms are shorter so not as much leverage to crank down the drag. Shouldnt it have a 10-50X?

#2 - the old 500 has a steel (or some sort of ferrous metal) main gear. It has a few small pits in it, not too bad, but it also has a recessed area machined on the bottom for the additional drag washer - new 500 has brass gear and no recessed area.

#3 - old 500 has brass keyed/slotted washers. new 500 has steel (or some sort of ferrous) keyed/slotted washers.

#4 - Side plate from new 500 will not fit on old 500 frame and vice-versa. (old side plate appears slightly tweaked)

#5 - Jack plates on both reels have 11-99 stamped onto plate, but both appear different - newer style is beefier

Is it possible to order certain 'styles' of parts from past manufacturing runs? like the steel gears and coarse thread 10-500 star? I would like to order a fine thread stainless gear sleeve for new one, and new coarse thread 10-500 star for old one

#1, The 500 and 501 came with 10-60 drag stars, there never was a 10-500 star.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain