which reels for trolling 40#- 60#?

Started by steelfish, May 19, 2015, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

guys, I just found out that is recommended to Not use a reel with AR bearing for trolling on the 40-60# test lines and a reel with mechanical or dog brakes is better suited, well that put my fathom 40 out of commission for trolling for Yellowtails or small tunas (bonitas) and will start using more the penn 320gt but I found it a bit shy on the drag power sometimes.

other than the well known fella penn 113h which other reels on that size is recommended for trolling on those line test?

Im trolling on Cortez sea, not big monster fish but plenty of big sierras, YT and leopard groupers on the range of 15#-25# and some could be bit bigger with luck, normally trolling with 80# braid and 20yd of 60# mono
The Baja Guy

conchydong

I think the Fathoms have 2 dogs in them.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Honestly I think you are fine with the fathom.

Suggestion other than that is

- 113h or 114h.
- Daiwa 600h
- Shimano TLD

After that avets, accurates and internationals, all very pricey

steelfish

Quote from: conchydong on May 19, 2015, 06:24:19 PM
I think the Fathoms have 2 dogs in them.

yep but it also has AR bearing that get punished before those double dogs.

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

The ARB will be fine.  They are designed to slip after the limit is reached.  That is why the dogs are there.  The fathom will be perfectly fine.  And the fathom can easily be used to throw jig, do a bit of yoyo jigging, live bait drifting,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 19, 2015, 06:55:05 PM
The ARB will be fine.  They are designed to slip after the limit is reached.  That is why the dogs are there.  The fathom will be perfectly fine.  And the fathom can easily be used to throw jig, do a bit of yoyo jigging, live bait drifting,...

damg.. that few sentenses saved me few bucks already, actually the main reason I went with the fathom on the beginning was because they are great casting reel for surface irons, yoyo and could be nice on live bait for the floating spool.

then Im not that un-armed when going fishing  with the fathom trolling and ready for yoyo with just one click, while my main casting reels are the trini16 and calcutta 400TE.
The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Steelfish, If I remember correctly your Fathom is a star drag model. Personally I like lever drags when trolling as it is much easier to adjust the drag during a fight and know exactly where your drags are set. I like to have my drags set lighter while trolling and once bit and the boat stops move my drag lever to the the correct range to fight the fish. You can do this with a star drag but a lever drag makes it much easier to do. With the drags set lighter there will not be as force put onto the ARB at the hookup when the drag first kicks in making it less likely for the ARB to fail after many trolling strikes. The Fathoms dogs are there more as a backup to the ARB in case the bearing fails IMO.

Can you use your Fathom star drag for trolling? Sure. Will it cause the ARB to fail more quickly? Maybe, but only time will tell. In the future if you have problems with your anti reverse bearing failing do to trolling the reel you may want to think about going to a lever drag or using a reel with out a ARB.

steelfish

Well a lever drags reel is a good option too.
I was thinking in a shimano TLD 20 II, looks good and have the winch ratio (really low)

Meanwhile I Williams Jeep using the fathom 40 Star and check the ARB and dogs regulary and later expend on a proper trolling reel
The Baja Guy