Stand screws Surfmaster 200

Started by Bill B, May 16, 2015, 03:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Does anyone know the dimensions for the stand screws for a Surfmaster 200 part number:
     31-19         STAND SCREW (R.S.)
Thanks..... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mike1010

5-40 threads.  The fillister head screws on the left side are 5/16 in. long.  The flat heads under the right side plate are 3/32.

Mike

Rancanfish

Okay Mike, let us know where you dug that info up.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Thanks Mike.....do you think these could be bought at at Home Deport of Lowes?  Or should I try a hobby store...there is a serious lack of fishing reel supply stores in my area....

mike1010

Not at my home depot.  I got socket head screws from McMaster.  They probably also have the regular fillister had ones.  What are you trying to do?  I may be able to help.

Rancanfish

If there is an actual fair sized Ace hardware nearby, I'd check that.

I found stainless socket head screws that perfectly matched the ones that fell out of my Triumph motorcycle fairing recently.  That convinced me to ck there first in the future.

Bill B

I picked up an old Surfmaster 200 with steel main and pinion, asbestos drags and plastic spool....while cleaning it up the right side stand screw broke.....found a Fisherman's Warehouse near where I work...I'll be taking a shopping list with me....gonna replace the drags, broken screw and maybe another dog and spring for a double dog....and in time the spool sleeve and the frame....

Reel 224

Quote from: TARFU on May 16, 2015, 11:38:04 PM
I picked up an old Surfmaster 200 with steel main and pinion, asbestos drags and plastic spool....while cleaning it up the right side stand screw broke.....found a Fisherman's Warehouse near where I work...I'll be taking a shopping list with me....gonna replace the drags, broken screw and maybe another dog and spring for a double dog....and in time the spool sleeve and the frame....

I would be interested in seeing what you do to your 200, since I own one also and have been toying with a few ideas myself. I did upgrade the drag system with Bryan's Drag washers, that was a big improvement. Right now I'm thinking about narrowing my 200.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bill B

Im thinking to keep it original width...I like the low, wide stance of the 200....the weakest points I see so far with mine are the sleeve, spool, and the frame....besides the broken parts...the rod clamp needs to be replaced too....while polishing it a crack developed and broke...if I can get an aluminum spool I might try magging it....I salvaged some magnets from some speakers that just might work...I will keep the sight updated....I did strip and paint the frame rods and seat today as they were really corroded....

mike1010

I went back and actually *READ* what you had *WRITTEN*, Bill (a rare but useful exercise).  You need just a single 31-19?  Unfortunately, I don't have one, or I would send it.

These are unusual, shallow angle countersunk screws.  I suppose you could luck out at Ace, but otherwise your best bet is to find a member here who has one, or to order from Scott's (mysticparts.com).  The thing is, Scott's will charge you a minimum of around $5 (their cost) for shipping, and that is obviously a little steep for a single screw.  So if you are going to order from them, delay a bit and think what other parts you want to get from them.  I can tell you from experience that it won't take long to put together a $30 or $40 order ;D.

Mike

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

foakes

Hi Bill --

I have those.

Will send you a couple in the mail tomorrow.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Thanks my brother!!! Much appreciated ;D

Rancanfish

Fred, what is that viewer called?  I looked on Ebay but got stuck in the overhead projector dept.

foakes

Hi Randy --

It is a brand called enhancedvision.com.

But there are plenty of other brands -- and the way to get one of these is used from CL or ebay.

Generally a few hundred -- compared to a new one at $2K-$3K.

Mine has many features I may never use -- such as the ability to connect to a computer, 6 or 7 viewing styles, etc.

I do not need it at this point -- but it is easier for other folks to see when I try to explain an aspect or part.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.