Newell P338-R

Started by MattT21, March 19, 2015, 04:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattT21

I have an opportunity to pick up one of these reels. It looks and feels like it is in decent shape, I don't have the option of taking a look inside, but it will definitely need a service. Does anybody know any specs on this model? Line capacity, line class, drag range? What is a fair price to pay? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

foakes

Hi Matt --

Here is a quote from our resident Newell expert, Dwight (Newell Nut).

332: The first number is the line design of 30 lb mono. The second two numbers represents 320 yds of mono. So a 332 hold 320 yds of 30 lb mono. The 338 holds 380 yd of 30 lb mono. As the second two numbers gets large the spool gets a little wider.

Can you use 40 lb. Certainly but does not cast as well due to stiffer line.

So the reel was designed around 20 years ago to be a 30 pound reel that would hold 380 yards of mono on the spool.

Drag numbers are 25 pounds on 3 series or 4 series Newells.  But this was with the old hard, thin smoothies and SS.  I would Imagine those numbers could be increased with Greased CFs.

Prices will vary with sellers.  If it were me, I would check the last 10 ebay "SOLD" listings -- for similar condition.  Throw out the top price -- throw out the lowest price -- average the other 8 -- and that is close to your value number.  Always figure it needs servicing -- even new reels need servicing.  If you do it yourself, and it has been fished -- you might be looking at $20 to $30 for a typical reel with no surprises.

Looking through my old price list from 1999 -- that reel sold for $183.95 retail.  My dealer wholesale cost was $113.

Also check with Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle -- on this site -- he has a good selection of Newells for sale.

Good luck, and show us your reel -- whatever you decide to get.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

For a red 338 in decent shape I would say $250 &some go higher than that.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

MattT21

Bluefish,
The reel I am looking at is black, not red. Does that change thevalue?

Newell Nut

R in the title means red when it comes to Newells. Where did you get the R?

MattT21

That is the model number on the side of the reel

Bryan Young

Sounds like a nameplate label mis-match.

If you have black sideplates, then the value is around $150 for a good reel, except in Hawaii, that reel would be worth ~$180-$200
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Something is very strange with that reel. May be a good idea to stay away from it.

bluefish69

I feel the same way about the reel -- STAY AWAY

I have Newell Badges that would make that a P-220. Then would you believe me.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tunacious

Do you mean it's a P338-F? Original P or re-released P?

Are the bars, spool, handle and reel seat aluminum or graphite? Also, are the clicker and jack handle all ss? The inside of the left plate also needs to be checked to ensure there's a ss clicker.

Unless you know and TRUST the seller, I wouldn't buy it unless I was allowed to open it up to ensure they were P parts. If it's being sold as an original P, you need to make sure the original parts are inside. Even just taking off the right sideplate you can tell if there's an original bridge sleeve and main gear.