Broken reel base

Started by Toehi, July 06, 2011, 10:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

Newell Broadbill kit for Penn 4/0, here's what the reel base should look like

Here's the broken one (piece that broke off next to battery)

Shoddy repair by a previous owner, they glued it back together, and painted the area.  Looked good (couldn't tell it was broken when I bought it) but snapped off first time in the reel seat.  Is there any way to fix this?  Maybe TIG weld and shape it?  There is almost enough material left to use a clamp and call it good but I don't trust it.  I've been keeping my eye out for another base on fishing forums and Ebay but haven't had any luck.  Any shops that would tackle (Ha!) this?  Thanks.

Bryan Young

I know us local guys would just weld it or something.  But if it broke, the aluminum surface is coated with aluminum oxides, and would be hard to remove before welding.  Try contacting Newell (or Panama on this site) to see if they have one.  Otherwise, you may want to go back to a Penn stamped reel seat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

It looks like you have enough material to work with, but can't really tell. I wouldn't waste my time reattaching the piece, I would try to get creative with a file. You should still be able to use it for fishing. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Make it a Penn again, no aluminium to worry about and will last a lifetime.

alantani

is a broadbill kit just a wide spool 4/0 senator 113h, or is it wider.  if is stock, i have a stock graphite frame somewhere that will work.. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Toehi

Alan, the Broadbill is 3 1/8" and the HLW is 3".  I have a HLW base I can try and modify if needed but I'd like to keep it all Newell.  I'll try my luck with a welder, hopefully they can fill it in. 

Panama

Hey Toehi,
If you want to keep it Newell but can't find the part I am due to go to the manufacture next week.  Find out the exact part that you may need and let me know.  I will be happy to get it for you and ship it to you.  Send me a pm and if you are within the US I will call you before I purchase it.
Anthony
"Panama"
Get on the water, Man!!!

Dominick

Hey! How about this guy Panama?  He's only been a member for a month and he is making himself indispensible 8).  Happy Anniversary.  Thanks from me and I am sure from the rest of the members.  Alan the man deserves an Alan Tani wrench  :) ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

absolutely!  anthony, can you send me a pm with your address?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

I second Dom's post.
It's great being around people of like mind - all keen to help each other out.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Panama

Hey guys,
I appreciate the gratitude.  I most say that I do things like this because I know that they will come a (or another...lol) day that I will need help and I only hope that someone will be there for me.  It is my pleasure to help, especially those that share the same passion I do for one of the best things in life....Fishing!
As per the A.T. wrench Alan, we can discuss that after we are squared away on the stainless bridge.
Keep your line wet and your feet dry.
Anthony
"Panama"
Get on the water, Man!!!

Ratchet

Newell's Broadbill kits haven't been made in over 20 years and I don't think they were popular except in Hawaii.  Even with the toe gone, you still can use the reel clamp and it will be solid.  Some of Carl Newell's earliest conversion kits, the reel foot did not come with "toes".  His Deckhand special reels were meant to be clamped onto a cork taped rod.