penn 704 greeny

Started by txangler81, March 29, 2015, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I bought a green 704 off of ebay. It has a 704 side plate but the spool and the rotor cup both have 700 part numbers. Don't know if they share parts  or if someone put a 700 spool on it or put a 704 side plate on a 700
Thanks Dustin

Doug

One way to find out look for the part number on the inside of the  housing under the main gear sb 1-704
Doug

Aiala

If the rotor cup has a silver bottom showing, like this, it's a 700:  

Scott's has schematics for both 700 and 704:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/700.pdf

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/704z.pdf(For 704, see Parts Differences at bottom of page)   :)

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

the_reel_doc

Think some of the early 704 spools had the 700 part number. And if I am remembering right the side plates are a bit different. Can't put a 704 on a 700 frame or vice-versa. Just a tad difference. And I know a 700 main gear has a shorter shaft than the 704. Same gear size but different shafts. I changed a few out back when the 704 main gear was unavailable.

txangler81

ok pulled the main gear out and it said 704 under it so it is definitely a 704 reel. I think the reel doc is right about the early 704 reels having 700 part numbers on the spool and it looks like it is the same for the rotor cup. I verified that they are actual 704 parts by looking at others on ebay and the wonder full schematic Aiala posted for us. Thank you all for your help in clearing up this matter.
Dustin

Penn Chronology

I am not 100% on these models yet but there are variations. Especially with the early first gen reels. This is a 1963 700,

Here it is before it was repainted. See the ugly very early handle.These are hard to find and a good shelfie;

George4741

Michael, I wasn't aware that the rotor cup was a solid one-piece casting on the earliest 700's.  I assumed all 700's are like the photo in Aiala's post.  My 700 is identical to her's.  So, I learned something today.  I would have thought your reel was a 704.  BTW Dustin, I don't know of any interchangeable parts.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMichael, I wasn't aware that the rotor cup was a solid one-piece casting on the earliest 700's.  I assumed all 700's are like the photo in Aiala's post.  My 700 is identical to her's.  So, I learned something today.  I would have thought your reel was a 704.  BTW Dustin, I don't know of any interchangeable parts.

The part number on the inside of the cup is 27-700. it is not a 704 cup. Every catalog reference I have about the 700 model is the two piece cup, like Aiala's reel but mine is what it is and it is a very early model. That handle was probably only used for a few early versions for dealer display models in the introduction year. I would not call the reel rare but finding one in its correct box with all the parts would be a home run;

txangler81

maybe the early 700s and 704s shared a rotor cup until the 700 switched to the 2 piece. Doesn't explain the spool though cosmetically it looks just like a 704 hex shaped center and everything it is stamped 700 though. Ill see if I cant get some pictures in the next day or so.