for daron

Started by harryk3616, April 10, 2015, 09:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 11, 2015, 06:37:43 AM
I am patiently waiting for my turn on a Kraken! ;)
Vacation days requested & approved.
Hotel reservations finalized
Money Budgeted
Big baits in freezer

I will be fishing the general area of the AL/FL line June 4th-6th
Here sharky, sharky, sharky!  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

harryk3616

best of luck john ,enjoy your trip, send photos of sharky, sharky.  maybe use a drone to take your baits out deep

Shark Hunter

John,
PM me the details of your location. I'll try to make it up there.
Harry, Our Drone is named Michael. You just point him and he goes! ;D
Life is Good!

harryk3616

daron,   i hope john never experiences the phrase,  '' i think we need a larger boat  ''

ChileRelleno

I heard back from Max.
QuoteHi John,
this will test me a bit as reel tech is something I've only ever looked at when purchasing a reel, such as gear ratio, drag capacities and line capacities, however I'll do my best to answer the questions.

The metal ring that surrounds the side plates have been twisted/warped under the strain.

It was a 1pc chrome brass spool.

I've only inspected the clicker on the internals which I observed the triangular metal piece had sunken due to two cracked pins/screws that held it in place.

I haven't had a look at the drag washers, although I can only imagine they would be completely burnt through as the drag is now very sticky- stop start. This may have some part to play in why the spool now has side to side movement, because the drag plates have shrunken/burnt away from the heat and now everything isn't so compresse?
You will probably know much more in regards to that than me.
They were the original drag plate I do believe, no upgraded drags.

On the 900m first run the metal parts of the reel (particularly the star drag) got extremely hot, no smoke, only steam once
I poured water over it to hopefully cool it down.

It was spooled with 100lb mono right from spool to top.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this, as I find this tech side of reels very interesting.
Regards Max

So what do we have here.

A 40 yr'ol 12/0, with probably the original asbestos drag stack.
That just barely managed to hold together long enough to land what is likely the largest Tiger ever landed from shore.
A burnt drag system, a broken clicker, twisted & bent rings, and it probably bent or stripped the posts/posts screws.

I bet the reel still has life in it with a rebuild.
New rings, posts/posts screws and a new drag stack.

Anybody have any questions or suggestions for the guy?
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Chile, have Max send you the reel.  You strip it and photograph it.  Collectively we can see the damage and let you know what to do to restore it to fight again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Believe me, I've thought about it & I would love to do that, but shipping a reel half way round the world isn't very efficient.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

That is exactly what I thought. A vintage 12/0 with absolutely no upgrades landed this Monster!
A true testament of the capabilities of these Dinosaurs!
John, your Hammer was only 400 lbs lighter. Something still isn't jiving. He said his reel was spooled with all mono. I think the runs were more like 900 yards. That is still a feat in itself.
Go Penn!
Life is Good!

foakes

Great accomplishment --

Few observations and comments from the peanut gallery --

-- this is a testament to the durability of the old Senators.

-- some luck was involved, as with most catches -- however, he was prepared with decent equipment -- and knew what he was doing -- would have likely been a different/less grueling story with upgraded interior components.

-- could be that the angler just wants to keep the reel in its original damaged condition -- to display as a memory.

-- however, if he wanted an upgrade -- the reel could be sent to Chile, Daron, or John, for an inspection, upgrading of any/all parts needed, etc.  Plenty of pics would be taken before, during, and after -- which would document where the wear on this reel occurred -- and members could offer their opinions and thoughts.  This would be useful for the future.  This is a good opportunity to turn theory about large species fishing into reality.  

-- And this would make a good topic for the AT Fishing Repair Forum.

-- anyone who would want to contribute, could -- and we would pay all expenses including shipping, insurance, components, and return the reel back to him in upgraded condition -- ready for another battle.

Let's see what everyone thinks -- and mainly if the angler would agree.

Perhaps he is primed to join the AT forum -- and learn more about reels?

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

We do have members from the upside down part of the world that could do the inspection, report and repair without the $100+ round trip shipping cost.   I'd love to look at the damage/wear to the reel too.  I'd donate a SS AR dog to the project.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Good idea, Lee --

Any volunteers from the South?

With our 1.5 Million hits a month -- and large worldwide membership --

"The sun never sets on the Alan Tani Reel Repair Site".

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

My only concern is the spool. If its warped. Its not worth rebuilding.
He would be better off with another reel.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Come on you Aussies.  Let's do this.  I'll chip in some money for whatever is needed.  If the spool is warped and we can't locate one, we will have at least seen the damage.  Is Max a member of this site?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

No, he is not, I'll invite him to register.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on April 12, 2015, 11:48:30 PM
No, he is not, I'll invite him to register.
If he was, the reel wouldn't have been in that situation. Greased CF washers and a Delrin on top and bottom would have saved that reel ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.