First Penn - Senator 113 4/0

Started by tab, April 13, 2015, 03:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

tab

Quote from: George4741 on April 13, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
BTW, Tab, are you ready to spend some money? ;D ;D ;D

I've entered into a few hobbies like this and know there are deep rabbit holes all over the place.
We do the best we can...

bestout

Quote from: tab on April 14, 2015, 01:34:14 AM
Quote from: George4741 on April 13, 2015, 05:14:25 PM
BTW, Tab, are you ready to spend some money? ;D ;D ;D

I've entered into a few hobbies like this and know there are deep rabbit holes all over the place.
We do the best we can...
ready set gooo
The monsters in my head are scared......

Big Tim

A little different fishing than what you will be doing, but we used to drop 400-600' for large chilles, lings an the sort with 10-15 hook gannon's  with the basic black 4/0 & 6/0 senators. Many a heavy loads brought up with those stock reels

Keta

The 3.25:1 113H has caught a lot of halibut.  Not many people used the 2:1 113 and I preferred the 3.25:1 349H    A 113 should work though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tab

No new parts, but I did spend some time and tune up the 113 tonight.
Some of the drag washers were dry and stuck together and there was no visible grease or oil on anything, so it was time for the maintenance.
The clicker switch was more than a little crusty (stuck actually), but a little penetrating oil and a lot of movement once free returned it to normal operation.

Despite never having used this reel I sure feel I know it a lot better.

Keta

Put a set of Carbontex CF washers in it and fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Sal,
I really like slow reels for bait fishing. Especially when winching up 100 pounds of barn door. A 113 with all the stainless goodies and steel gears can pull an awful lot. I have also had oiled bearings go crummy in freezing salt water conditions. I like bushings whenever casting isn't involved. Don't get me wrong though,  my Newelled YTS is a blast with Alans 8.5ft Super Seeker and a surface iron.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

The jigmaster's size bridge post isn't as strong as the 113H bridge and the gear set could handle lots of drag, just like the 49. I've seen a few bridge post get loose on those. But I must say, today we have better drags and a Delrin washer for under the gear will make it smoother yet.
A smooth working reel doesn't fail as easy as one that feels jerky.
As I've said before, if the reel fail or not, we learn just the same.Try that 113 and show us what it could do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

maybe we should start another rule here.  say, for the new guys first upgrade, we limit him to $20, then he has to go fish with his reel.  i worry about you guys spending too much money.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bestout

Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2015, 04:08:54 PM
maybe we should start another rule here.  say, for the new guys first upgrade, we limit him to $20, then he has to go fish with his reel.  i worry about you guys spending too much money.   ;D
I already passed 20 :)
The monsters in my head are scared......

alantani

yeah, i know alot of guys do, even on their first go around.  the reason is that you might likely not be able to recover your investment if you suddenly need to sell. if i knew for sure that you would not take a loss, then i'd say fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

Sorry to get off subject here, but does my black 3/0 take the same drag as a black 4/0?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Yes bastro, they both take 3 of 6-113 washers. Either one can be updated by using 5 of 6-60 washers & adding one more keyed & one more eared washer. Also you might need a slightly shorter spacer or shorten the one you have.    RUDY

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n