First Penn - Senator 113 4/0

Started by tab, April 13, 2015, 03:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2015, 04:08:54 PM
maybe we should start another rule here.  say, for the new guys first upgrade, we limit him to $20, then he has to go fish with his reel.  i worry about you guys spending too much money.   ;D

Was that $20 or $200  ;D you gave me the same advice and I took it for the most part. I just like fixen things & sometimes that costs money. If you just want an upgrade to fish you can go on the cheap and have a nice reel. If you want to have fun in this hobby then it will cost you. You can buy a brand new 2 speed reel for $220 that will catch some big fish or you can spend that and more on a reel that will catch fish, fill a need in your life & can pass down to the kids. The choices are plenty  ;D

Big Tim

bestout

Quote from: Big Tim on April 15, 2015, 01:06:00 AM
Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2015, 04:08:54 PM
maybe we should start another rule here.  say, for the new guys first upgrade, we limit him to $20, then he has to go fish with his reel.  i worry about you guys spending too much money.   ;D

Was that $20 or $200  ;D you gave me the same advice and I took it for the most part. I just like fixen things & sometimes that costs money. If you just want an upgrade to fish you can go on the cheap and have a nice reel. If you want to have fun in this hobby then it will cost you. You can buy a brand new 2 speed reel for $220 that will catch some big fish or you can spend that and more on a reel that will catch fish, fill a need in your life & can pass down to the kids. The choices are plenty  ;D

Big Tim
You said it 👍💪
The monsters in my head are scared......

AlasKen

I would like to tag on this conversation.  I would be interested in Alan's $20 initial upgrade.  I fish Alaska, live here in fact.  I have both a 113 and a 113H.  They are stock, never serviced.  About 6 or 7 years old.  What would I do with my first $20 or so +-20.  I have caught some decent halibut.  I target 40 to 60 lb with a few over a hundred that get sent back to stock my hole.  Thoughts?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: AlasKen on May 16, 2015, 06:36:14 AM
I would like to tag on this conversation.  I would be interested in Alan's $20 initial upgrade.  I fish Alaska, live here in fact.  I have both a 113 and a 113H.  They are stock, never serviced.  About 6 or 7 years old.  What would I do with my first $20 or so +-20.  I have caught some decent halibut.  I target 40 to 60 lb with a few over a hundred that get sent back to stock my hole.  Thoughts?

The first $20, I say spend on supplies for self servicing, I.E marine grease and corrisonX. A good strip down and cleaning goes a long way. If the drags are not Carbon Fiber then upgrade the drages to CF and grease them with cals and go fish those bad boys. That should do it.

After that... the sky is the limit.

basto

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on May 16, 2015, 06:58:17 AM
Quote from: AlasKen on May 16, 2015, 06:36:14 AM

The first $20, I say spend on supplies for self servicing, I.E marine grease and corrisonX. A good strip down and cleaning goes a long way. If the drags are not Carbon Fiber then upgrade the drages to CF and grease them with cals and go fish those bad boys. That should do it.

After that... the sky is the limit.

Good advice.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Porthos

Tab,

Are you "oldman313" on BD? 'Cause if you're not, you somehow both have coincidental plans that were both posted on 4/12.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bottom-fish-setup.584902/

tab

Quote from: Porthos on May 17, 2015, 08:10:00 PM
Tab,

Are you "oldman313" on BD? 'Cause if you're not, you somehow both have coincidental plans that were both posted on 4/12.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bottom-fish-setup.584902/

Nope, it's not me. Just similar things happening at the same time I guess...

Porthos

What metropolitan area are you in? Let's see what's on Craigslist in your neighborhood...