Looking for Jigmaster expert to do upgrades for me

Started by pjstevko, April 14, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

You are absolutely right, Sal --

In this case, all we are doing is trying to get a little more star drag travel (between lockdown to backed off completely) -- while doing the best we can with a stock reel.  The larger star just gives us additional leverage and is easier to operate quickly.  While the shaving of the sleeve gives us a greater amount of travel between the two extremes. 

And when a reel like this bottoms out at the highest drag setting against the bushing -- it is still riding somewhat on the oiler ball bearing -- instead of the metal sideplate sleeve opening.  This reel will not bottom out, since only 3/32" was shaved off.  Most of our fishing out here off of the coast is using a drag setting between half to 3/4s of full compression.

It would be really nice to have a 1/8" longer sleeve in SS.

That is one reason why Carl Newell offered the lower profile brown Delrin side bushing on the handle side for these old Jigmasters.  With a recessed star, and his upgraded thin smoothies -- generally a 4 stack -- one could get the star down below the metal sleeve opening, if desired.

This reel will likely remain stock appearing on the outside, except for a good handle -- along with a few key upgrades on the inside.

Who can make those sleeves for us?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, there are a few that could get it done for us, but none willing to do it,  this is why I said no one is listening ;D.

You still did good using the 10-49 on the jigmaster, I do it myself. The 10-49 feels much better than the 10-60.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

txangler81

Is the 10-49 for the fine threaded gear sleeve

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Fred thanks for taking a look at the reel. I got it at a yard sale for $10 so I'm not surprised it has some issues....

For the kind of fishing done out of Morro Bay is it necessary to upgrade the drag?
What's the benefit to the SS double dogs?

Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks again

Pj

foakes

Personally, PJ --

JMO --

A new aluminum spool
SS Sleeve
(1) SS dog
Power handle of your choice
30 pound Berkely Big Game

12 pounds is the ideal drag for this reel -- any more will necessitate a solid frame, SS gear set, double dogs, 5 stack drag kit, braid, and possibly more.

The upgrades and mods are for when you are stressing a reel beyond the factory specs.  Your reel is now already better than factory -- so you may just decide to try it out as is.

Bear in mind, the reel is perfectly capable of anything off of the Coast except perhaps larger Albacore that may be out 25 to 50 miles -- at certain times of the year.  This will handle Lings, snapper, halibut, salmon, and most other species commonly encountered.

These are very good reels -- with a 4:1 ratio, will do most any type of fishing you may get into.

And this will always be a great extra reel, if you decide to find a Senator 4/0, 6/0, or something heavier.  And it can still be your "go to" reel for most situations.

And the choices are yours -- but if you decide to dive down the rabbit hole into custom modifications -- you will quickly lose sight of your checkbook in the rear view mirror.  

Nothing wrong doing all the mods -- I would just make sure they are really what you think you need before spending the $$$.  The Mods are not for everyone -- just us weird reel heads -- and you may be one of us?

Anything can be done later, after you use the reel for a few trips.

There are no issues with the reel now -- it is ready to fish -- and I would have no hesitation using it tomorrow.

So I will send it back Monday -- along with a wrench -- or do any mods you request.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i know i'm a little late to this post, but i must invoke the $20 rule!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Agree 100%, Alan --

So far, PJ is at $6 return postage --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

pjstevko

I'd like to have you do the upgrades you recommended
A new aluminum spool
SS Sleeve
(1) SS dog

I'm still a little hesitant about working on this myself...

pjstevko

Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2015, 05:58:25 PM

what's the $20 rule?

Alto Mare

Quote from: pjstevko on April 25, 2015, 08:21:11 PM
Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2015, 05:58:25 PM

what's the $20 rule?
If I had to guess I would probably say for new drags, but that doesn't even cover it :-\.
The Jigmaster is rated at 15 Lb max from Penn, invest $70 for the custom bridge and sleeve and you will have a reel that is matched by no others at that price.
The upgrades are there for you to take advantage of... go for it ;)
My Jigmasters with the works will handle 20 lb and still remain very smooth all the way.

There are other options out there, as buying a different reel, to me personally, that option doesn't exist.
This is just myopinion, do as you please.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

I have a 505 that I have had for many years and fished out of Moro Bay with it for years before doing anything other than hosing it down and a bit of oil here and there. Been fishing 30# on forever and finally did new drags and a stock gear sleeve. Lings, reds, WSB, halibut all on the same reel. This being said I also have a jigmaster that I went over my $200.00 rule  ;D ;D ;D you will be fine with what Fred is doing and it will last forever.

Big Tim

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on April 25, 2015, 05:53:30 PM
Personally, PJ --

JMO --

A new aluminum spool
SS Sleeve
(1) SS dog
30 pound Berkely Big Game

12 pounds is the ideal drag for this reel -- any more will necessitate a solid frame, SS gear set, double dogs, 5 stack drag kit, braid, and possibly more.

The upgrades and mods are for when you are stressing a reel beyond the factory specs.  Your reel is now already better than factory -- so you may just decide to try it out as is.

Bear in mind, the reel is perfectly capable of anything off of the Coast except perhaps larger Albacore that may be out 25 to 50 miles -- at certain times of the year.  This will handle Lings, snapper, halibut, salmon, and most other species commonly encountered.

These are very good reels -- with a 4:1 ratio, will do most any type of fishing you may get into.

And this will always be a great extra reel, if you decide to find a Senator 4/0, 6/0, or something heavier.  And it can still be your "go to" reel for most situations.

And the choices are yours -- but if you decide to dive down the rabbit hole into custom modifications -- you will quickly lose sight of your checkbook in the rear view mirror.  

Nothing wrong doing all the mods -- I would just make sure they are really what you think you need before spending the $$$.  The Mods are not for everyone -- just us weird reel heads -- and you may be one of us?

Anything can be done later, after you use the reel for a few trips.

There are no issues with the reel now -- it is ready to fish -- and I would have no hesitation using it tomorrow.

So I will send it back Monday -- along with a wrench -- or do any mods you request.

Best,

Fred

Fred if you say it's good to go as is then just send it back to me with a bill for your time, parts replaced and shipping.

Thanks again
pj

foakes

OK, PJ --

I'm thinking your decision is good at this point -- try it out -- then just service once a season, wash off after every trip, pull off the quick release sideplate -- putting a little oil and grease in before a trip -- you are good to go -- and if you decide on upgrades -- I can do that for you anytime.

However, I would recommend picking up a NEW 29L-500 aluminum spool.  Spool it with 30 LB mono, such as Berkely Big Game -- and it will perform well.

I will be sending your reel back tomorrow with the 3 piece spool I put on for testing, and your old spool that is shaft-tweaked.  Just keep the 3 piece, spool it with 30 LB also -- then you will have a backup for a quick change out when your line is damaged and the fish won't stop biting.

N/C -- just send a five and a one for return postage whenever you get a chance.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bestout

Nicely done Fred, unlucky for me i had just to give mines away to a friend that really want it.
The monsters in my head are scared......