Show off your favorite Lingcod vertical/yo-yo jig

Started by pjstevko, April 20, 2015, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on April 28, 2015, 05:55:31 AM
Here's one on the bottom.

Lee, have you had any luck with the jig bars? (solid bars on the upper left)

I have some on chrome and never have catched anything on them

The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on July 06, 2015, 12:01:37 AM
They work on our lingcod.

hooks on the bottom or assisted hooks?

we dont have bottom critters as lingcod and rockots, I have always used as deep jiggs for yellowtail and sierras but no luck with them, they prefer salas jr type of irons

The Baja Guy

Keta

Both, most people here still put treble hooks on the bottom, I use assist hooks.  They might work on grouper.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

I bought 10' of 1/2" copper.$11.00,  50 SS 10/0 open eye mustad hooks $68.00, 100 #10 SS split rings.
100 4.5" B2 glow in the dark squid bodies $20.00 from China and got here in less than 10 days?
One stick of copper makes up 14-8.5" pieces each approximately 1lb when filled with lead.
In two trips we have used them exclusively and caught and released a few hundred rock fish and around 50 ling cod. No need for any other rigs, of the 14 started with we have lost 9 rigs to snags and locked fish.
I have lots of old lead to melt so it costs me a couple bucks per rig but that means I only lost 18-20 bucks in gear as compared to 100.00 for store bought, I'm going to lose them anyway, store bought or home made makes no difference.  I keep meaning to take pictures of them but they went straight to the boat.  Going to have to make up a new batch soon I will take pictures then, they are not my design I pilfered them from a guy in Alaska who pilfered them from someone else, probably a plumber!

Rancanfish

Yes, definitely post them up when you do Mr. Hall.

I've got copper pipe and a ton of lead literally. I'll be ready.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Since this picture is hijacked along with the concept I don't think anyone will mind my posting it here.

David Hall

If you google home made long cod jigs then scroll down to the Images and open that link and scroll through till you see this picture there is an excellent step by step instructions for making them.

Steve-O

I've seen pipe jigs before but not this style. Some were so basic they were Jethro Bodine style.

A treble at each end of the pipe and eyelet in the middle. Like a T-bar.

When I saw Lee's Hex bar jigs the thought came to mind to get some 3/8th re-bar and cut each end at a shallow angle for drilling and then get them hard chromed. And then I thought...naahh skip the chrome, just spray paint 'em and tip the hooks with hoochies and salmon bellies. Re-bar is cheap or even free.

David Hall

Yep no point in dressing up the bar unless you just enjoy making them purty.
These pics are not mine although the only difference is the type of skirt, I like the B2 glow squid bodies and they cost me about 40 cents each. 

David Hall

Since I am not fishing for awhile I thought i would take the time to make up another batch of copper pipe jigs.
And since I'm not building any reels right now I feel the need to post up my process for making them.  Something to do and maybe someone might find it useful.
I start out with 20' of 1/2" type M copper pipe, it's thinner than K or L and therefore costs a little less.  22.00
From my local OSH.  Cut it with a tubing cutter into 8" lengths, you will end up with 30 pieces.

David Hall

Smash approximately 3/4" on one end flat,  I use my bench vise.

David Hall

Stand them up in a bucket open side up and fill around them with sand or fine gravel. fill  the pipes with molten lead.
Don't be inhaling the fumes, wear a chemical mask, welders gloves and goggles.  

David Hall

I use a small commercial lead smelting pot. my choice of lead is whatever I have on hand that I don't need.
Today it is 20lbs of .38 wad cutters.  Note when using these they are coated with oils to aid in seating them, when melted the oils separate and float to the top, they smoke like crazy, I use a shop rag to soak them right off the top,  all other impurities will also float to the top.  My last batch were made from old weights that the wires had broken or rusted out.

David Hall

Tomorrow I will drill these for split rings and cotter pins and start prepping the hardware.
Items I use.
1. 20' copper pipe
2. 30 #10 SS split rings
3. 60 150lb barrel swivels
4. 30 open eye siwash mustad hooks 3/0-9/0 whatever you like they all work the same.  Treble hooks work just as good but they are a PITA to remove from your fish.
5. 30 1/8"X1" SS cotter pins
6. 30 soft plastics jig bodies, your choice, I like GITD B2 4-3/4" squid bodies.  I use nothing else.

This gives you the basic 1lb. jig which works great in depths up to 130' any deeper and I want 2lbs.
This batch I am working on I am adding some teaser flies which will tie 18" above the jig on a drop leader.
Striper Lou makes some very nice ones that I will be adding to Some of these.  They add cost to the jig but they are incredibly productive.